This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Mozart's Brain and the Fighter Pilot...

Today I went out and purchased the book MOZART'S BRAIN AND THE FIGHTER PILOT: Unleashing Your Brain's Potential by Richard Restak, M.D.. My second youngest brother suggested it to me. He and I are suckers for technical books about the brain. I just find it so fascinating.

It is typical of me, when I take on something, like our Father's Alzheimer's, to jump in with both feet. I want to leave no stone un-turned in learning about the brain to help me understand what Dad is going through and how I can best help him.

Besides, I need something to take up my time, so I don't feel useless, while we wait for Dad's Medi-Cal to be approved. I know my brother and I will have some interesting conversations from these books we are reading. I recommended POWER VS FORCE by Dr. David R. Hawkins to him.

My sister is going to visit Dad after she gets off work. She made some cookies for her son's 31st birthday today, and she made two dozen for Dad. That will make Dad's day... I have no doubt!! She promised she would call me at the end of her visit so I could talk with Dad.

So far, I am really enjoying the book. I put some pork chops, potatoes, and green beans to soak in apple juice with some cinnamon and onion salt into the crock pot this morning. Smells so good waiving through the house. The weatherman just said we might have more thunderstorms tomorrow.

My precious sister just called. She drove all the way over to see Dad, and he was sound asleep. She tried to wake him up but he was snoring up a storm. Guess our younger brother had been there earlier. Maybe he snuck Dad out and pooped him out. She left him the container of cookies and a strawberry shake. He will be so jazzed when he wakes up. I'm going to hold that happy thought in my mind...

No comments: