This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Live Strong and remember...

Yesterday, my youngest brother, his girlfriend, and Mom went to visit Dad. They had lunch at one of the family's favorite eating spots, Taco Ready, and he brought Dad a burrito and an order of spicy carrots. Mom brought Dad more clean clothes and some dark chocolate Dove wrapped candy.

My brother had been on a week long fishing trip up at June Lake, so he shared the pictures with Dad. Half way through the pictures, Dad had scarfed the burrito and carrots. Dad noticed the facility was serving nachos with cheese and salsa in the activity room, so my brother made sure Dad had a big plate full.

They all had a good visit, and they also found that Dad seemed very tired. My brother is a cyclist and wears the yellow Lance Armstrong wrist bracelet, that says Live Strong. The purpose of the bracelet is to raise money for cancer research, raise cancer awareness and to encourage people to live life to the fullest. He brought a band for Dad and after explaining its meaning to Dad, he placed it on his wrist. They exchanged some private words, and then hugged. Dad has this "whisker rub" thing he started on Father's Day, and gave one to his son. In lieu of kissing the boys, Dad has been passing on the way his father displayed affection to him.

I was inspired and rejuvenated by my brother's visit with Dad. Live strong. Dad and Mom have always taught us to live a strong life and to do what is right. My Dad always told me to listen to that voice within me, which I instinctively knew was The Lord..

I'd like to get one of those yellow Livestrong bands to wear on my wrist too...in support of Lance Armstrong, supporting those with cancer, but also, for our precious Father, who is fighting so hard for his life...

No comments: