This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Independence Day...

Yesterday, Mom received a Medi-Cal request for more documentation. I called my 2nd eldest brother and he zipped over to Mom's to help get it all ready to mail out certified mail on Monday. Mom took Dad his book Spanish For Dummies. He has decided he wants to learn Spanish.

My husband and I went to see Public Enemies with Johnny Depp. Ironically, the film opens and ends with the old song Bye Bye Blackbird. My Dad used to sing that to me when I was a child as a lullaby. It has always been a special song for us. He and I danced to it at my wedding. My first marriage, I eloped and never had a traditional ceremony. Dad only walked me down the isle on my second and last marriage. I am so grateful to have those happy memories.

Today, we hung the flag and are just relaxing. The weather is gorgeous with white fluffy clouds against a beautiful blue sky. Its a "dry heat" of 103 degrees. We will bar-b-que some steaks and white corn on the cob later, then take in another movie. I think we will see Taking of Pelham 123. I want to see Ice Age, Dawn of the Dinosaurs or UP.

My husband always enjoys watching the Twilight Zone marathon every 4th of July. In many, many ways, I feel we all are living our own Twilight Zone with Dad. Of course it changes the entire dynamic of our family. We are each dealing with it and handling it in our own individual ways. I know it will blend together at some point. Holidays will be different from now on...

I spoke with Mom, my sister and both my daughters... But everyone else has plans and are not around. I hope someone visits Dad today... I'm going to call him, so I can hear his voice. Maybe I can ask him to sing Bye Bye Blackbird to me...

No comments: