This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Today, we took four steps forward...

I called Mom to let her know I had a blood test at 9:30am, so I would be on the road at 9pm in case the facility called about Dad not taking his meds. She told me she was taking copies of the all the Medi-Cal approval paperwork over, and also to the hospital. Dad had called last night and asked for some jeans and couple more long sleeved shirts. So Mom was going to take it over and she would call if she needed help with him taking the meds.

I called when I finished my appointment, and Mom said she and the nurse got Dad to take his meds, but he refused his thyroid meds for the second day in a row.

I called Dad's primary care doctor to check on him giving orders to check Dad's PSA level and his UA for infection. The nurse told me they sent it over this morning. I called the facility and spoke with the charge nurse, just in case Dad would give them any trouble. Luckily, they had already done both tests and had sent them out to the lab. Hopefully, the doc will call me with the results...

I tried to schedule a family meeting with Dad's Psychiatrist, but no luck. No openings until the end of August.

Dad is being given Ensure shakes to get some food in him, since he is not eating even 50% of his meals. My sister is determined to get a good meal in Dad, even if it means taking him out. She called our 2nd youngest brother to go with her and I called the facility to find out how we get a pass.

I just heard from my sister. Their mission was a roaring success!!! First, they took Dad out to the patio, and our oldest brother from Ohio, called to get the facilities phone number. My sister let him know Dad was right there. So he and his wife both spoke with Dad, and whatever they said, made Dad so happy and in such a good mood!!! I KNOW Dad was thrilled to hear from his oldest son. Hope he shares his magical words with us via email...

While Dad was on the phone, my brother suggested not driving Dad anywhere, but, instead, why not walk him over to Jack n the Box? They agreed that was a better strategy and told Dad they only had a half hour. Other than Dad being like a child crossing the street, and being over whelmed with the menu, he was thrilled!!

They had a great visit and a good time with Dad. By the time they brought Dad back to the facility and got him changed into his PJ's, got him fresh water, he was almost asleep by the time they kissed him good nite! WHOO----HOOOO!!!

No comments: