This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Give him chaos and he is at peace...

I called Dad last night on the psych wards pay phone. He sounded very matter of fact as to where he was. He talked and I mostly listened. He was rattling off all kinds of nonsense and gibberish...mainly I wanted to know if he was OK. He did not seemed bothered in the slightest.

Mom took Dad a change of clothes and some more chocolate. Dad was calm, cool and collected and seemed very at home in his new room with his new room mate. He seems to calm down in chaos and get restless in peaceful surroundings...

He is very particular about music, and I know his room mate at the nursing home likes a lot of different music. That will really irk and irritate Dad. He HATES being rushed or forced into anything... If someone talks too fast or tries to put words in Dad's mouth, he balks and tunes it out. He listens and observes the tone and facial expressions more than the words spoken.

They told Mom he might be there a week...and told her not to worry about the nursing home holding his bed. Seems like the Psych ward wants to start over from scratch...I hate thinking of Dad as a Guinea pig. Maybe because finding the right combination of medication will determine Dad's resistance to taking it. Guess that will take time...

I know and I must remember, Dad is in the hands of the Lord...only He knows the reason Dad has this particular disease... why this is Dad's destiny to walk down this crooked, lonely path. We can only love him, show him, and protect him.

No comments: