This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Monday, October 5, 2009

Let him eat cake, or anything else he wants...

Mom has observed a belly developing on Dad. My sister noticed, I think we all noticed in the picture my sister emailed to all of us. My daughter even called me to comment on Little Papa putting on weight in his face. No doubt, it is from all the cheeseburgers and shakes we've been bringing him. Sounds like Mom wants to start a health campaign for Dad. She took him fresh raspberries, apple juice, mixed nuts with craisins, cherry jello and some of the gum he likes.

After Mom finished her visit with Dad, she signed consent papers so the nursing home can give Dad pneumonia and flu shots. She said he was still talking about jumping fire pits at the beach. That must have been something he used to do when he was in the service, or when he was a lot younger. He sure would never have allowed us to do that, nor would he set such a bad example.

Dad is sneaking up on age 89. Personally, I say, let him eat cake, or anything else that sounds good to him. God knows, from his life time of healthy eating, he is long over due...

2 comments:

WhiteStone said...

Decades ago I worried about my Dad remaining by himself on the farm, walking the fields, hoeing the weeds. He was 80. I wanted him to go live in town at the senior apartments. I was worried he might have a heart attack in the middle of the bean field. Then I thought...what's the difference whether he dies of a heart attack in a senior apartment or out where he loves living and working. He later made the decision to move, but I'm glad he stayed on the farm as long as he wished.

Donna B. said...

I agree Whitestone...at this point, let him do what he wants to do. I will do my best to make his dreams come true...