This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Saturday, October 24, 2009

The adventure begins...


We just adopted this sweet little girl. She was dropped off at the Animal Foundation by the owner. She is one year old and was given the name, "Winnie".

She responds to kissing sounds more than her name, so we may change it.  Any suggestions?  So far we are considering, Minnie, Molly, Annie, and Sophie.

She looks a bit disheveled and really needs a bath! I made a grooming appointment tomorrow at Petsmart.

I have always been a cat person. Not much knowledge with dogs. My experience with dogs have been strays or lost dogs.  I kept them until I found the owners or a good home. My husband has been more of a dog person.  I couldn't help myself though, when I saw her, I went right to her and monopolized her so no one else could adopt her.  People would comment on her telling me how cute she is.  I would tell them I was considering adopting her.

It seems dog lovers like to convince people to become a dog owner...So many people stopped to chat with me and told me what a good dog she was. After three hours, when I finally signed the paperwork, ten people came over to congratulate me!  I was so preoccupied with the dog, that I hadn't noticed the group of people who were lingering around, waiting to find out if I would take her home....

They were closing at 3pm, so I had to make a decision, or let her go back with the Animal Foundation alone, because all the other dogs had been adopted!  I just kept thinking, what will I do with her when I have to leave the house?  What will I do when we want to travel?  My husband suggested to have our relatives take her when we go away...

I have so many questions.  Do I get a crate and crate her when I have a doctor appt? What about at night when we sleep? Do they feel more secure that way?  Do I confine her in the laundry room? How do I potty train her?  Will she get up in the night and make a mess? Is loving animals, enough?

All I know is she is leery of men, friendly with women, children and other pets. Seems very mellow and calm. She rides in the car well. She does not seem real curious and does not know how to play ball. She follows me like a little shadow and likes the leopard blanket I gave her to sleep on. When I ask her, "What do you think?" She looks like she smiles, and spins around in circles. When I took her for a walk, it was the first time I heard her bark at other dogs. Was she protecting me? I welcome any suggestions on the names and any advice anyone would like to share.

The adventure begins...

6 comments:

Susan said...

hi, Well... you know I'm extremely partial to the name Winnie so I would suggest keeping that name or maybe Minnie 'cause that's very close ... and she does look very much like a "mini" or Minnie.

She probably is already house trained but initially if you have to leave you could confine her to the kitchen or laundry room with her bed and water and as far as traveling goes- she's small enough that much of the time you might take her too - or if you're going far kennels and/or relatives if you're luck enough to have such kind relatives. My new little shelter girl is already telling me when she needs to go outside. Anytime (initially) that she stands up from sleeping and starts to move around take her outside on her leash and always take her out after she eats - and you'll have a house trained dog almost instantly. Maybe a treat to reinforce the goodness when you come in. And 2 walks daily around your neighbourhood - and/or throw a ball around in your yard for her - a tired and exercised dog is always a good dog.

so that's the advice from Black Street. Good luck and good for you for adopting a little sweeties. xo S and les Gang

mickeydee said...

If she was white, she would look just like the little one I adopted three months ago! I'm sure that Holly can fill you in on all the doggie info you will need. Bless you for giving this little one a loving home.

Donna B. said...

Thank you Susan for all your advice. We had a family BBQ and everyone liked "Annie" or "Izzy". When we said "Izzy", her ears perked up!! She had a full day at the groomers then meeting her two "cousins" and playing all day...we all are pooped...tomorrow I will leave her in the laundry room while I go to my doctor appt...wish me luck.

Donna B. said...

Really Mickey Dee? Our dog looks like yours? Yeah, she is wheaten in color with white accents (discovered AFTER her bath and grooming). I am suppose to go to CA next week, and am debating if I dare take her with me, or get a crate and leave her home all day when Jerry is at work?? She met her "cousin doggies" today and really got along with them, so we could leave her there...oh my, what a different situation from cats...

Tonya Vollertsen said...

Congratulations! What a cutie, she looks a lot like my little "Aspen". Mine is half Chihuahua and half Maltese. I hope yours brings you as much love and companionship as mine has.

Donna B. said...

Thanks Tonya, I have no idea what she is other than terrier mix. She is doing pretty well. Took her to the groomer, but they trimmed her face way too short and cut her whiskers so short they poke me like a needle when I give her kisses or toch her face. I'll know better next time...