This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Dad had another fall....

I got a startling call at 12:45am from the nursing home.  Dad had fallen again at 8pm.  The nursing home puts floor pads, with alarms in them, so they can tell if Dad gets out of bed during the night.  Apparently, he wheeled himself into his room and tried to get into bed without assistance, and fell.  The nurse told me he did not hit his head, appear to be hurt, or had any complaints.  Dad did not cut himself or suffer any abrasions.  He is still bruised from his fall in the bathroom.

The nurse assured me he was OK, but my heart was racing and thumping inside my chest none the less!  Since he was OK, I sent an email to the rest of the family this morning...We have instructed the nursing home to call me first and not to disturb Mom.  I can just imagine my poor Mom, if the phone would have rang next to her bed at that hour...:{

We have been discussing a plan for Dad's birthday, Nov. 5th.  Since it is on a Thursday, and everyone works, we have all agreed to meet at the nursing home at 7pm.  That is late for him, no doubt he will be tired and confused, but we won't stay long.  We'll bring him his favorite casserole, a pineapple upside down cake and his presents.

I will be driving to CA that day with my girlfriend.  She will drop Izzy and I off at Mom's probably around 5 or 5:30pm. My husband will be visiting his son and attending a football game, so he will pick us up on Sunday.  I want to try a short visit and a long car trip to see how Izzy does.  So far, she seems pretty much up for anything,  except for the brushing and men.

Thanksgiving is another matter with Dad.  My sister and I appear to be out-voted, as everyone else feels we should not attempt to bring Dad to my brother's.  Everyone thinks we should go in small groups of 2 or 3 to visit during the day and bring him food.  It makes me so sad, to have him alive and not be there...

2 comments:

Vegas Linda Lou said...

OK, Donna... I'm just about done laughing at the title of your 10/26 post and really, really do send my best wishes to you and your family. It has to be tough. (But oh, God--that title!)

Tonya Vollertsen said...

I'm so sorry to read that your father has had a set back. Parents and children take such a tole or uplift your heart so much. I used to think it was bad luck when something happened to the ones I love or to me but now I just feel it is part of the push and pull of our lives that mold us into who we are. Like a painting that we keep working on. I'll say a prayer for your Dad and your family.