This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Thursday, October 8, 2009

The cross memorial in the Mojave desert..

This morning while reading the newspaper, I came across an article about Congress agruing about a lone, white, 6 1/2 foot cross in the desert. It was built 75 years ago on public land, in the Mojave National Preserve, to honor the World War I veterans from the area. Congress says "it raises a host of complicated issues about which religious displays violate the constitution's ban on establishment of religion and who may challenge them".

Someone had to have seen it, and then take the time and energy to bring this to Washington. For me, I cannot imagine someone taking that kind of time, for something like this...

Congress has covered the cross with plywood until they make a decision. Caretaker, Henry Sandoz, who took care of the cross for years, rebuilt it atop an outcropping, along Cima Road, south of the Nevada-California border. Hooray for Henry!!!

The story and the picture in the newspaper, inspired me. I think this may be my next painting I make for Dad...

1 comment:

DonnaMundinger said...

Honestly when I read about this in the paper I was dumbfounded. It made me sick to think that people have nothing better to do than this. If you're offended, GO HOME, but leave it be for the MAJORITY who are NOT! xxD