This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Friday, January 8, 2010

The most beautiful girl in the world...

Yesterday, 65 years ago, Mom and Dad met on a street in Seattle, Washington while Dad was on leave, with two of his Marine buddies.  Mom worked as a Fashion Illustrator and her boss had just opened his own Art Gallery.  Mom and her girlfriend, who attended Art School with her, had acted as Hostesses for the grand opening.  Mom and her girlfriend had finished hostessing and were on their way to the bus stop when they past the three Marines.

The Marines followed them and they all stood talking at the bus stop.  Dad would later tell us the story, over and over, through the years, and he described it as meeting the most beautiful girl in the world.  He asked for her phone number and he had nothing to write with, so he memorized her phone number.  The last time he told us the story was this past June, while celebrating Father's Day in the Psych Ward...  Dad repeatedly her phone number, as he has done thousands of times before...Grant 4404.

Mom went to visit yesterday and took Dad flowers. Unfortunately, she did not remind him of the date, because she didn't think he would remember.  I wished she had so he could have had that happy memory.  Every time he told the story, he would smile and have a twinkle in his eyes...

Dad enjoyed smelling the flowers and smiled.  Mom said he seemed tired and talked steady and softly.  Mom had brought some pictures of his only remaining sister and her children, but Dad could not see it without his glasses.  Mom had him try some magnifying glasses which did not help, yet, he held onto the photo anyway and smiled and as Mom described everyone in the photo.

Dad asked about his nephews and his sons.  Mom told him they were in school and his sons were busy working.  Mom thought his face looked thinner and he seemed very tired.  He voice seemed to fade away to almost a whisper as he drifted off to sleep and dream.

Mom spoke with Dad's favorite Aide and she shared with Mom how she had shaved and bathed him that morning.  He had been very happy. She calls him Papa and is so sweet and gentle with him. He had only eaten ice cream and his supplement drink for lunch.  When Mom dropped off a bag of lemons from one of Dad's trees, the nurse told Mom he had lost 4-5 pounds and if he continues to lose, they will put him back on the appetite enhancers.

I called the Social Worker at the nursing home today and asked about Dad's missing glasses (third pair gone missing).  She told me they had ordered more.  Still no approval on his hearing aid, and the Dentist only recommended a cleaning for Dad.  For over a year, Dad has had a hole in one of his teeth on his left side from the loss of a filling.  I called the dental company, and the Dentist is suppose to return my call on Monday.  No doubt they will wait until Dad is in agonizing pain, then they will want to pull his tooth....

I asked about his weight, and she told me Dad is steadily putting on weight and that on the 5th of January, Dad weighed 147 lbs!  Some wires are crossed some where...so I will stay on top of it and continue to be Dad's Advocate...

6 comments:

Darlene said...

It is wonderful that you are staying on top of what is going on with your father. It can be quite a lot to do, but it is necessary to have someone advocate for them. I lived 100 miles from my parents when my Dad was in the hospital and then the nursing home and then passed away. My sisters lived close, so they were there to help and make sure things went well. My parents meeting is somewhat similar to the story of your parents meeting. Keep on pushing for your Dad's tooth to be taken care of and new glasses. Maybe they can be inscribed and can they hang around his neck when he is up? May just have to have a spare pair all of the time. Best to you.

Mari said...

What a wonderful story of your parents meeting.
I'm glad you are on top of things. Keep on checking on the tooth situation and the weight loss. (of course, I know you would anyway!)

Wander to the Wayside said...

What a lovely story about how your mom and dad met! And how familiar the story about your dad sounds, right down to losing the glasses and the psych ward! My dad was attached to his aide as well, and acted much more 'normal' and 'less combative' with her.

Ok, I'm going to see if I can copy/paste a very long comment I just typed onto an email!

Donna B. said...

Hi Darlene...I actually live about 260 miles from my Dad. His nursing home is on the border of West Covina/Baldwin Park, and I live in Henderson, Nevada. I visit once a month or every two months. I found and admitted him (along with my siblings) and eventually our Mother, when she returned from her trip, so all the staff knows me very well and know I am very involved. His glasses ARE marked with his name...but it just doesn't matter if they were thrown away accidentally...or taken my another patient and then hidden. Thanks for the support and concern.

Hi Mari...I know. I love that story, especially when Dad used to tell it to me. I want to find out why the nurse thinks one thing and the chart is saying another...I'll have to ask Mom...

Hi Wander...it really sounds like I am having similar experiences with my Dad...Your Dad had to go in the Psych Ward too? Oh man, that is the worst! Talk with you soon...

Jo said...

Aw... what a beautiful story. It reminded me a bit of the book (and the movie) "The Notebook" by Nicholas Sparks. The movie is lovely, and if you haven't seen it, you might enjoy it.

Good luck to you and your family.

Donna B. said...

Hi Jo!! Glad to see you! Yes, I have seem The Notebook...it was a sweet movie...thanks for stopping in!