This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Happiness and sweet surprises....



What a surprise!  Sunday morning I discovered Linda, over at http://wandertothewayside.blogspot.com/ had given me my very 1st blogging award!  The Happy 101 Sweet Friends Award.  Thank you so much Linda! The stipulated rules say I am suppose to list what makes me happy, and then pass the Award onto a unspecified number of recipients.

Glenn over at  http://glnroz33.blogspot.com/ awarded it to Linda, listing nine, and Linda listed ten, so maybe I should do 11...( I hope this does not come off as self-indulgent...)

(NOTE:  It has taken me two days to follow Linda's instructions on how to attach a link...thanks Linda!)

1. My two grandsons absolutely rock my world!
They both live in California,
so besides visiting my Dad, Mom. Sister, Brothers, family and friends,
I spend as much time as possible at their house.
They make me laugh til my face hurts.
Nothing is worth more than driving four hours for their hugs and kisses.

2.  Both my daughters are also two of my closest friends.
The history we have being the "Three Muskateers" after my divorce from their Father, is still so powerful.
A visit from either one or both of them
(usually in the summer) absolutely makes me feel like a kid going to Disneyland!

3.  Sister time with my Sister. 
She is so talented and creative and works so hard at her job (she is the only woman in a sea of men and holds her own impressively!
We laugh and joke and share love for animals.
There does not have to be a plan, we spontaneously enjoy one another's company.
She is so very precious to me and our friendship makes me deliriously happy.

4. My husband's laugh and holding his giant bear-paw hands,
makes me feel gitty...still, after almost 10 years.

5. Animals make me forget any trouble or worry. 
Especially baby animals...particularly baby dogs and kittens.
I LOVE puppy breath!
Izzy has brought such joy to my life...
My reliable walking companion and fitness coach.

6. Music and dancing. (They go together for me)
Music is a such a source of joy and happiness for me, for so many reasons, so, this may get out of hand...
Not to copy Linda, but I too LOVE the song "CRAZY" by Gnarls Barclay,
Before I had Izzy, that song would propell me up hills when I was out walking with my iPod!
"ME AND MRS. JONES" by Michael Buble,
John Legend's, "SAVE ROOM".
I LOVE Adam Lambert, especially his version of "MAD WORLD".
I listen to Bon Jovi or Bruce Springstein when I clean the house.
In the car, driving, I have to listen to Neil Diamond .
"SOOLAIMON" and "I AM, I SAID" are two I like best.
Life time favorites have always been "CRAZY LOVE" and "MOONDANCE" by Van Morrison.
Hal Ketchum's "SMALL TOWN SATURDAY NIGHT" and "PAST THE POINT OF RESCUE"
are songs I dance to with my grandsons...
(SEE? I TOLD you this would get out of hand...)
I enjoy smooth jazz, 'Nawlins, Louisiana type music, classical, country....
basically, most music except Rap...for some reason it makes me agitated.
I will dance to anything that makes my toes tap,
and I don't care where I am when the mood strikes me.
I am particularly fond of wiggling my fanny...
(Both my daughters can verify this embarrassing fact about me)

7. Food/Sweets.
I know, I know...this is not a healthy thing...
but it is a disturbing fact and heart felt truth about me.
I love to eat...especially Italian food.
And as long as I am being brutely honest,
I am a recovering chocoholic.
Brownies, with walnuts, fresh out of the oven,
absolutely, possitively,
send me over the moon!
I'd rather have them than a birthday cake.
I may as well throw it all out here...
(no one else will know besides just us, right?)
A chocolate chip, extra thick Blizzard 
from Dairy Queen made with chocolate chunks
and not the chocolate dip,
or
a pair of Hostess chocolate, cream filled cupcakes
has been one of my "celebration"/"bad day"
compensations since my childhood.

8.Nature's beauty
First would be the ocean and then the mountains
with sunrises and sunsets
in between.
I will stop and admire a big old tree
and enjoy hugging them.
Don't laugh! I feel their energy and strength...
Try it some time.

9. Girlfriend time with girlfriends.
OK, this one should have been further up towards the top...
but maybe it is in this postion because,
since moving here,
most of my bestest friends
are back working in California...
and
we don't get the time together
we used to have...

10. Going to the movies.
Since my Dad first took me to see
Disney's "Pinocchio" and "Fantasia",
I have been a huge fan.

11. Spending the weekend in Laguna Beach.
It is heaven on earth
to lie on that big bed
with the balcony doors open,
to hear the waves crash on
on the beach below our room.
and smell the salt in the air...
Writing or reading a book.
Walking around the village enjoying the shops,
the restaurants and street cafes,
Getting up early to beach comb and see the sunrise,
Dining at the Beach House restarant
watching the sunset...
Heaven, just heaven.

Now, for the best part...  
I would like to share this Award with the following blogs in Alphabetical order:

Angie at http://angie-ledbetter.blogspot.com/ (Gumbo Writer)
Sonia at http://gutsywriter.blogspot.com/
dianne at http://justmousinaround.blogspot.com/
Willow at http://willowmanor.blogspot.com/
Linda at http://vegaslindalou.blogspot.com/
Shelli at http://faeriality.blogspot.com/ (Market My Words)
Mari at http://marislittlecorner.blogspot.com/ (My Little Corner of the World)
JeannetteLS at http://reinventedvoices.blogspot.com/
Helen at http://machinistswife.blogspot.com/
Lisa at http://gioiachronicles.blogspot.com/
Whitestone at http://revel217.blogspot.com/ (Wanna Walk Along?)
Debra at http://debralschubert.blogspot.com/ (Write on Target)

** Some of the above are published writers, but I appreciate them sharing their knowledge.**

*** Just click on their links to go check out these talented ladies***



13 comments:

JeannetteLS said...

Thank you, Donna. A lovely way to wind down my afternoon. I was just about to leave my computer when your message appeared. I love your list. Your blog, as you know, BOTH blogs, I should say, matter to me a great deal. Enjoy this beautiful afteroon--it is out here on the east coast.

Lisa Gioia-Acres said...

Donna, thank you so, so much! I've been secretly wishing someone would give me an award, thank you for being the first.

I am so happy and grateful to be a part of the blogging world, I have met so many wonderful people and writers. I have always said we need to surround ourselves with those we admire and wish to be like; I have found that in this format and you are one of my inspirations.

Again, thank you for the recognition.

Pat said...

You have wonderful, wonderful things that make you happy! I agree with many of them! Thank you for bestowing this award on me! I will be sure to pass it on!

Gutsy Living said...

Thanks for the award which I truly am grateful for. When I have more time (as you know I'm supposed to be revising my book) I shall post about the reward. You put tons of effort into your own post. Great to get to know you. Sonia.

Mari said...

Congrats on this award Donna! You and your blog do make me happy! I really appreciate you passing it on to me as well. I hope you don't mind though if I don't post it. I quit doing that after inadvertently hurting someones feelings when I didn't pass an award on to them, and I don't want to risk that again.
I love your happy list too!

Liz Wilkey (a.k.a. A Mom on Spin) said...

Thanks, Donna, for reminding me that I can actually BE happy from time to time!

Can't wait to check out the other winners. . .

WhiteStone said...

Thank you! I hope you won't mind if it takes me a few days to respond. Debbie over at "Life's Funny Like That" also tagged me with a similar tag. So I may respond with a blending of the two. In the meantime I am 6000 miles from home which means I am 6000 miles from freezing cold winter storms. For at least two more days.

Wander to the Wayside said...

You did a great job with all your happy things, and now I'm wishing I had some chocolate! I'm not familiar with any of these blogs, so will definitely check them out.

Angie Ledbetter said...

Well, what a nice surprise! Thanks and congrats to you too on the pretty blog bling!

WHO DAT?! :)

Tess Kincaid said...

This was a sweet surprise! Thank you very much. I'm both honored and flattered!

Laura @ My Thoughts-Uninterrupted said...

Congrats on your first award! I am also a huge fan of puppy breath. I am looking forward to reading more on your blog - thanks for following mine. As for my template I got it here http://btemplates.com/ I wish I could say I did it myself, but HTML is way, way over my head!

mickeydee said...

Thank you for the sweet award! I love your list. So special. It's so nice to sit back and really list all of our blessings. It's nice to take the time to contemplate what truly makes us happy.

Natasha said...

Loved reading about the things that make you happy - what a wonderful list of things.
And so many more blogs to discover!
I am glad to have found you.