This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Sunday, January 10, 2010

A GREAT visit with Dad...

My precious sister went to visit Dad today.  As she walked down the hallway, about six feet away from Dad, and he held his arms out stretched to her and yelled her name at the top of his voice!  Made her day.  His favorite aide, let's just call her his Angel...had just given him a shower, shave, trimmed his eyebrows, put on fresh clothes, combed his hair and even spritzed on some cologne.  My sister said he smelled wonderful!

We could not have hand-picked a better care giver for Dad.  His Angel loves him and favors him.  She calls him Papa.  Dad is all smiles whenever she is around.  If he is not eating, the staff calls her and then Dad will eat for her.  She brings him in fresh homemade Menudo and Tamales.  My sister kept hugging  her and telling her how much she means to us knowing how she is caring for Dad.

My sister brought her manicure set and did Dad's nails.  His Angel wheeled him outside while my sister carried the fresh water for his hands to soak.  It was  a gloriously gorgeous day with the sun shining brightly on them. Afterward, my sister showed him the Dominoes and they played a game or two.  Dad could count the  dots and remembered how to play. Dad began to close his eyes and told them how wonderful the warm sun felt on his face.  Like a child being strollered into the sun, he kept his eyes closed and felt sleepy.  My sister heard music and singing coming from inside and knows how Dad loves music.  They wheeled Dad back inside and Dad began to sing...

After my sister returned from putting away the Dominoes, she found Dad asleep in his wheelchair.  She started to wheel him back to his room, but one of the Aides told her she would take care of him.  My sister found Dad's Angel and told her she was leaving, and that Dad was asleep.  She told my sister she would go get him and tuck him into bed.  My sister thanked her again for all she does for Dad and assured her we all are so grateful for her.

My sister told me this was the happiest she has seen Dad in many months...she had a GREAT visit!!

7 comments:

Lillian Robinson said...

My eyes are moist with happiness for you and your sister.

You brought back memories of my grandmother's aide. He was the same age as some of her great-grandchildren. She called him her boyfriend! He even took her four-wheeling in his jeep! (Of course, he had the family's permission.) He loved her very much. He came to be by her side with us when she passed. It broke his heart.

It is such a blessing that your father has someone like that to care for him. You're right... she is an angel.

Mari said...

I'm smiling just reading this. What a blessing!

Anonymous said...

Isn't it wonderful and oh! so comforting to know there are loving, caring people caring for your dad? When my dad was in the nursing home, there were a few "special" souls that dad seemed to connect with and they still hold a special place in my heart for all the loving care they gave dad! There were many difficult and challenging moments..but their never ending patience and love always perservered! I know there is special place in heaven for those remarkable people!

Fran Hill said...

This is so good to hear. How nice that there is someone with him who really cares. That must make such a difference, to you and to him.

Marcella said...

What a wonderful late Christmas present. Brought tears to my eyes.

Donna B. said...

Lily: What would we do without the angels in all our lives?

Mari: Yes, we are blessed.

Aspen and Fran: She and several of the kind and caring staff at the nursing home help on so many levels during this terrible time. I really don't know what we would have done without them.

Marcella: Bless you and thank YOU and all of you for your kindness and support. It means more to me than I could ever properly express.

Donna said...

That surely must take a load off from your mind to know that he has the special angel taking care of him. Sounds like he really had a good day with your sister and that was so nice for her to have him be so excited to see her and know her name and to be coherent through out the visit. A good day for all.