This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Friday, January 15, 2010

Doctor, Doctor and Papa-Palapa...

 I walked into the dining room and found Dad sitting at a table with a spaghetti ring around his mouth and cookie crumbs in his lap.  He had his eyes closed, a big smile on his face and was talking reverently, as if saying a prayer.  I stood and listened to him for a little while.  Impressively, he is good at rhyming words.

I gently touched his shoulder and then his face.  He opened his eyes with delighted surprise, calling my name. I cleaned him up and wheeled him back into his room to put on his shoes, a sweater and the afghan Mom knitted for him in his lap.  I wheeled him outside on the patio...

Dad has had sex on his mind a lot lately, and today was no different.  He went on and on about his favorite Aide and how he would take her with him when he leaves for outer space.  He told me how much he loved her and how good she was to him.  How she really showed her love to him by caring for him so well.  I agreed with him, and told Dad we all loved her too.

His voice was kind of raspy and hoarse, like Clint Eastwood.  I kept getting him glasses of water and he would completely suck down the water through the straw and barely lose a beat in his one way conversation to me.  I just kept refilling the glass, smiling and nodding in agreement.

Dad told me he was cold and wanted to go back to his room.  As I was wheeling him into his room, the nurse called to me and told me Dad had a blister on his left foot.  She was there to check it and treat it.  Another male nurse came in and told me he was just going to call me about Dad's blister.  The nurse pulled off his shoes and socks and I was shocked to see his dark purple foot.  Dad has very poor circulation in his legs, and refuses to wear his compression stockings.  Siting long periods in his wheel chair with his legs hanging down, will not help his circulation!

We agreed he should get in bed and elevate his feet.  I could start to see a more normal color returning to his feet...  His favorite Aide came in to check on Dad.  She spends a lot of time in his room.  I noted her sweater and bag were on Dad's bedside table.  I told her how much we appreciate her and how much Dad responds to her.  Dad turned to her and said, Doctor, Doctor.  Apparently, that is what Dad calls her.  She playfully rubbed his head and asked how her Papa-Palapa was, and he beamed with happiness and told her he was just fine now that she was here!  We all laughed...

We chatted as we were trying to find something Dad liked on the television.  He did not anything, except talking with her.  I stroked Dad's hair and he told me how good it felt and shut his eyes.  Before we knew it, he was asleep.  I kissed him, telling him how much I loved him and let myself out...

Until next time Papa-Palapa...

6 comments:

Mari said...

I'm so glad your Dad has his special aide. It's great that he is happy with her around, but wonderful that that you know she's keeping an eye on him and taking good care of him.

Ruth said...

This post reminded me a lot of my own father, who is in a care home. He has one or two very special helpers too.

Wander to the Wayside said...

I've probably already told you that my dad was also attached to one of his aides or nurses. I guess it's not that unusual, though I did occasionally get a little 'jealous' of how sweet he'd be to her and mean to me! Does your mom get bothered by this?

I'm so glad you're getting to see him, and wish I had had the patience you seem to have, though I did develop it (the patience) toward the end.

Rosaria Williams said...

Oh this is so sweet and charming, though hard to swallow too. You are a good daughter, keeping him as happy as he can be at this stage in life.

Vegas Linda Lou said...

Another touching post. The first paragraph alone brought tears to my eyes. You capture all the right details and paint a picture that I can see as clearly as if I were watching your story on TV. Great work!

Donna B. said...

Hi Mari...Yes, it is wonderful to have her...we all appreciate her so very much.

Hi Ruth...we can certainly empathize with one another. God Bless you and give you strength and patience in our journey with him.

Hi Wander...Yes, you did tell me of your Dad. We just want Dad to be happy and his Aide makes him so happy. She even bathes him every day that she is there, instead of the two times a week he is scheduled for.

Hi Lakeviewer... Thank you for your compliments. Yes, it is hard to swallow. It is the worst watching Dad dissolve a little bit each and every day...but it is the cruel nature of the disease.

Hi Linda! Good to hear from you. I want to check in and see how your one woman show is coming along. We need to have that lunch....