This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Saturday, January 30, 2010

God has provided him the ability to instantly receive all messages of love...

Mom and my sister went to visit Dad today.  They found him in the TV room, and despite being in the back of the room, Dad called her name as soon as she walked into the room.  Immediately, her day was made!

It was a warm sunny day, so they wheeled Dad out to the patio and began their visit.  They noticed Dad is still a bit shaky, but he was in a really good mood, and appeared happy.  He spoke of many of the same things he had discussed with my youngest brother E.

Dad told them he was getting a rocket from Cape Canaveral and flying into to space to teach all the children about God. He said he saw the President's face carved in stone, but did not think it was President Hoover. My brother sent an email commenting on maybe he was thinking of Mount Rushmore. My sister noticed how good his skin looked.  They really take care of his dry skin well there...

Recently, my youngest daughter found out she was pregnant, and had asked me to email everyone, as she was very sick with a cold.  I did as she asked, and as I clicked the "send" button, I verbally, said out loud to my Dad, as if sending him a loving thought, "Dad, you're going to have another great-grand child".  Today, Mom told Dad about my daughters news and Dad surprised us all by telling them, he already knew.  He smiled and said he remembered being told.

When I read my sister's email, about what Dad said, it made me cry.  It was as if in his mixed up jumbled mind, God has provided him the ability to instantly receive all messages of love... Like he had heard me when I spoke those words...

It was getting close to lunch time, so my sister asked Dad if he was hungry, and he told her he was not. Shortly after her question, his Angel, (his favorite aide) came out with Dad's lunch on a tray. She brought him meat loaf, squash, broccoli,  wheat bread, vanilla ice cream, milk, coffee and pears.  As my sister was cutting up his meat loaf, she said Dad almost stabbed her hand with his fork, he was eating everything so fast!  He ate everything, except for the pears and his bread.

They sat for a bit and enjoyed the sun, but it became obvious, he was growing sleepy.  Mom and my sister took him back to his room and got him all cozy in his bed, so he could enjoy a nap.  They kissed him good-bye, said their I love yous, and left him to his sweet dreams...

8 comments:

Mari said...

What a nice visit!

Donna B. said...

Mari: What the heck are you doing up this early in the morn? I napped from 2:30pm to 7pm...so I am wide awake, but will be crashing early on Sunday!

Wander to the Wayside said...

That was just the sweetest thing, that he already knew about your daughter! Almost like there was a pipeline from you to him.

It would be nice if all visits were this pleasant, wouldn't it? I, too, would feel so 'relieved' and happy when my dad would recognise me when I visited,and I would see it in his eyes the minute I walked in, how he'd just light up. Sometimes I'd say 'do you know who I am', and he'd say 'you're my daughter!' (duh!), and other times it might be 'you're the one who made me leave Texas', or 'no, but I'm glad you dropped by'. Or, in the worst case scenereo, it was 'you're the one who stole my money!'

Napped for 4-1/2 hours? You must have been worn out from tackling some project!?!

Jeanie said...

You tell the story of you Dad with such tenderness. I feel sure he is truly receiving messages of love.

Fran Hill said...

He's being looked after well and maybe that's why he's alert to feelings. It's good news.

Donna B. said...

I agree Mari...I know, it was so sweet and that realization (or wishful thinking) was such a Blessing and touched my heart.

Vegas Linda Lou said...

That's an amazing and beautiful story--you have to believe he somehow heard you. Love it!

Natasha said...

What a wonderful story. And you know what, I think it does happen.
My younger kid was born around 1 am (you call it morning, but it is actually still night). I called home to tell my mom, and rather than wake my father up, she decided to wait till morning before she told him.

But when she did tell him, he already knew it was a boy, and that he looked a lot like him. How could he have known, unless he heard me from thousands of miles away?