This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Friday, August 14, 2009

There is nothing wrong with Dad's appetite...

This morning my sister, mom and myself went to visit Dad. We stopped at Starbucks for Dad's favorite zucchini-nut muffin, but they were sold out. I selected an apple fritter and some banana walnut bread. We went to Mc Donalds for some of their delicious senior 98 cent decaf coffee to go with the sweets...

When we arrived, Dad and the CNA were standing outside the spa. She was attempting to brush his hair, still wet from the shower. We all went into Dad's room and waited while she gave Dad a shave. I combed Dad's hair and we got him all settled so we could give him his "surprise treat".

When we brought out the coffee and sweets, Dad couldn't get the coffee lid off fast enough, and was diving into the bag with the apple fritter. As he was shoveling it into his mouth, clearly enjoying himself, I suggested he might want to save the banana bread until later...

The Rehab nurse came in and asked us if Dad would be having therapy and I told her he would. By the time she left and I turned around, Dad had finished everything and was looking very satisfied reclined on his bed. So much for saving the banana bread til later...

Over all, Dad was quiet and mellow. Maybe a bit overwhelmed. Possibly the three of us in the room were too much. Mom told Dad his sister called and Dad looked at Mom like he did not know who she was talking about. We all think Dad could be losing his long term memory.

I left briefly, to find the Social Worker to inquire about Dad's Opthamologist exam. Dad was examined on July 27 th, so his bifocals have been ordered and should come in September. I also got him on the list to see the Dentist, the Podiatrist and to get a hearing aid.

I checked with the nurse about Dad taking his meds and making sure they were following the orders from East Valley. Dad had eaten 90% of his breakfast, so there is nothing wrong with Dad's appetite! I asked the nurse to change me to the number one contact and made Mom second. Mom seems to be a lot less stressed, so not having to worry about the phone calls will really help her.

Staff continued to pop in and welcome Dad back and to greet us. I have spoken with several of the staff over the phone, but had never met them. It was good to match a voice to a face.

Dad didn't say much this visit... but he was not complaining either. Maybe he had a delayed reaction to another move and felt disoriented. He knew who we were though, and that is always a positive...

No comments: