This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Challenges in the blueprint of living and giving...

Spoke with Dad over the phone today...he was very interested in colors and what they mean. He talked of blueprints we must follow. How living is giving. The challenges he must face each day. These were the main themes repeated through our conversation. As always, he still is trusting in the Lord's plan. He mentioned my youngest brother twice, my second to the oldest brother about four times and Mom, too many times to count.

Computers are connections and so are people we love. Some times it is scary to put his faith in the Lord. He has a magnetic condition he can't control... He can relate to Vets and sees combinations of names...

When I asked if Mom had visited him today, he told me she had, and she would be there throughout the day. I asked if his television was connected and he said it was, but when I checked later, I was told it wasn't. He asked me for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with some milk. After we hung up, I called and asked the CNA if she would order him a sandwich from the kitchen. She told me he would be eating soon, and I reassured her he would definitely finish his dinner.

I asked Dad if he would like me to paint him a picture with beautiful colors and movement in it and he told me "that would be wonderful! I would like that..." I will bring it to him in a couple of weeks when my husband and I go out to visit him.

Mom came to visit at lunch time to watch Dad devour turkey, gravy, stuffing, veggies, potatoes, apple cake, ice cream, coffee and milk. He was still hungry, so Mom gave him two more 100 calorie snack packs. Dad continued to sit and stare at his tray as if he stared at it long enough, more food would reappear. Mom asked him if he was still hungry, and of course he was so she ordered him a fruit plate. When it arrived, Dad finished off a large scoop of cottage cheese, a banana, sliced apples and sliced pears! Mom gave him his 12 almonds a bag of Cheez-its and he inhaled that as well.

She has a tough time when Dad does not make any sense. She doesn't know what to say, and gets upset when he ignores her or does not answer her questions. For me, it is easier to just let him talk, briefly comment, but just to listen to him.

His nurse is so kind. He clearly has so much compassion for Dad. He called to tell me after we talked on the phone, Dad seemed angry. Dad was still holding the phone with his mouth clenched like he was angry. The nurse took the phone and no one was there so he hung up. He asked Dad if he was in pain and Dad was fine.

God Bless these wonderful, kind individuals who extend their gentleness and care to patients who once were strangers, and now are treated like their own family members...

No comments: