This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Conversations with the Social Worker...

Today I called the Social Worker over at the psych ward. I specifically wanted to know why Dad is not making any progress and why they are keeping him there so long. She explained their goal is to find his "baseline", which is the getting Dad to a base he can function from.

One of the big drawbacks, is basically Dad not taking his medication on a regular basis. I found out Dad is "his own free agent" and can make his own decisions. I thought, since we had an Advance Medical Directive and Mom and Dad had a Living Trust, those things were covered. Not the case.

The Social Worker was telling me in order to force Dad to take his meds, we would have to request Treatment for Dementia clause in their Advance Directive or have a Conservator ship. She encouraged the Conservator ship, and told us we could download the form from the LA Superior Court and file it ourselves. She said a Conservator ship contains 16 powers, but three specific powers refer to his situation that could help us down the road. I need to talk to her again by what exactly she means by that.

So far, in my research, a Conservator ship allows placing a mentally dysfunctional person into a locked unit, against their will. Is that what the Social Worker was referring to? Does she anticipate that down the road?

If Dad can refuse his medication, why can't he just refuse to stay in the nursing home? Or in the psych ward for that matter! What is the difference? Guess I have to put that one on my list of questions for tomorrow...

This whole thing is an absolute NIGHTMARE!!

I hope it never comes to having to place Dad in a locked facility...that would be more than I could even imagine.

When I talk with Dad, he still recognizes my voice... most of the time and he either tells me he loves me or responds he loves me after I tell him before I hang up. But, all the "talking" in between is usually him rambling about things that make no sense at all, bizarre comments and his ever constant obsession with the "repetitive syndrome" of having to urinate or defecate. Whatever bizarre comments he makes, such as going to Iraq and joining the Muslims has to be impressions from watching the television news. The other day, he was going to become a missionary and take care of the children.

I know Dad has been a procrastinator most of his life and if he has any connection to that, he must have many regrets and sadness. There's a lesson in there about not putting something off, and to take action to follow your dreams, no matter what.

Maybe it is the distance and being away from Dad, reading all my families emails, but I feel God gave us a miracle on Father's Day. Since then, he seems to be in a steady down hill decline. It is highly doubtful, Dad will get any better...

My youngest brother said it best, "We need to look for all the positives we can on our visits with Dad"... "If Dad knows who we are, that is a positive"...

No comments: