This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Back to for 8-18-09

Woke up this morning feeling like someone slammed me repeatedly with a 2 x 4. So sore from lifting, moving boxes and hauling bags into Mom's garage. Wanted to lie back down and sleep for another 8 hours, but I had to pick up my girlfriend at 10:00am.

Got to my friend's house around 10:30am and we visited for awhile with her best friend who is leaving on vacation up to Oxnard to stay for a week on the beach... OH HOW GOOD THAT SOUNDS!!!

We left around 11:30am and and stopped in Baker for a bathroom break and to have some lunch around 1:45pm. Had to have a few Diet Pepsis to get my eyes to stay open. We left Baker around 2:30pm and got to my friend's house a little before 4:00pm.

My sister called. She and Mom went to visit Dad. They brought Dad more cornbread and a chocolate shake. More 100 calorie snack packs for his drawer and some chapstick, cause his lips looked dry yesterday. When they arrived, Dad had just finished a big hamburger dinner, but had no problem devouring both items they brought him. He looked more rested and kept his eyes open, looking more alert. His right hand was still red but less swollen. They asked the nurse for an ice bag and put it on his hand.

My sister noticed Dad still had some ketsup on his fingers from his dinner, so she wet a wash cloth and was attempting to clean his fingers on his left hand. Dad jerked his hand away from her like she had hurt him. Again, he seems to be very sensitive to touch...

Mom hung up and put away his clean laundry.

Dad was talkative, but did not make a lot of sense. He doesn't seem able to complete a thought or a sentence. They just allowed him to ramble and they intently listened. He recognized both mom and my sister, despite staring at the ceiling and out the window quite frequently. I think they feel it was not a good visit when Dad is like that; but, I feel Dad no longer has a social filter. He no longer is concerned if his actions seem rude or bored. I think since his psych meds were switched to the evening instead of the morning, he is awake more during the day and he has always been curious...

He has always had a vivid imagination too. The other day, when I was visiting him myself, he told me he was looking for ways to improve his room. I imagined him decorating it in his mind and that made me smile, because he was using his imagination and that keeps him occupied.

No comments: