This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Friday, August 7, 2009

Got some answers and talked to Dad...

Called Dad on the psych ward pay phone and finally made contact!! His voice really sounds weird, not like his normal voice. Is it caused from the anti-depressant? He was chewing his favorite cinnamon Altoids gum my second the youngest brother brings to him. He kept holding the phone too close to his ear, so for a a minute or two I had a loud beeeeeeeeeep in my ear! I asked if he was visiting his friends there and he told me he was. I asked if he was talking about the Lord with them, and again, he was. He told me he was seeking the truth...

I agreed with him and thanked him for always teaching me the truth. He changed the subject and told me he was suppose to be in a foreign land...but could not remember where it was... I asked if he had watched any television programs about foreign lands, and he told me he had and what a great program it was.

I told him I was coming to see him next Thursday and I had lots of hugs and kisses for him. He told me he loved hugs and kisses... Suddenly he told me he had to go to the restroom and we said good bye...

I did make contact with the Social Worker today and she told me the Psychiatrist had stopped the Seraquil on Dad on 7/31/09 and had started him on the anti-depressant Lexepro on 7-30-09. The doctor had increased the Lexepro on 8-5-09. She did not know why, so I called the Psychiatrist's office and spoke with his nurse. Dad's main doctor is out of the country, so I asked for his Associate to contact me. I want to know if he was taken off the Seraquil for the Lexepro due to conflict? Is the Seraquil not working? (I know Dad particularly would refuse to take that medication and would refer to it as "the bad one"). Can an elderly patient with dementia take that medication safely?

I also told both the Social Worker and the Psychiatrist's office I wanted to be notified if Dad's medications are changed, stopped or re-started. I want to stay on top of these drugs they are giving Dad. I am thinking that is why his voice sounds "funny" because of the anti-depressant.
I will have to ask my siblings to check for "dry mouth", which would indicate the anti-depressant might be too strong...

Hang in there Dad....hang in there.

No comments: