This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Monday, August 3, 2009

Not a whole lotta sense goin' on... For August 3, 2009

Both Mom and my 2nd to the youngest brother visited Dad today. Both found him to be very confused. Mom checked, and the psych ward wants to keep him for 2-3 more days. It's so bizarre how Dad seems to prefer the psych ward to the nursing home... He has been taking his meds and having a better appetite too. Mom says he needs a hair cut. His 2nd pair of glasses is gone. I will call tomorrow and see if they can find any of his glasses by the time he leaves!

I hope this is not the beginning of the end... I remember when my Mother in Law began losing things. She would never, ever allow anyone to see her without her dentures. Toward the end, she lost her dentures and did not seem to mind at all. Next her glasses went, then her jewelry.

When my brother visited with Dad, he spent much of the visit, listening to Dad complain about Mom. He is confused his primary doctor is a priest. Dad just seems to blame every little thing on Mom...

I just can't imagine what Dad must be going through. It must be like the worst drunk one could have... the kind of drunkenness when you can't remember where the car is parked, or what happened to the shoes you were wearing, or how did you get that tear in your pants and the skinned knee?? Just one woozy, uncertain, really foggy, can't remember anything state of mind...

I've never seen Dad drunk. He has always been a person who prefers to have his "wits about him" and prefers to think clearly. The sad truth is, he has not been able to think very clearly for a couple years now. What a horrible, horrible situation this is...

It would almost be better if he did not know what was going on, rather than being so confused and mixed up. At least he still knows who we are... and is concerned for our safety.

Tomorrow, Mom and Dad will have been married for 64 years...

No comments: