This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Thursday, August 13, 2009

A classy place for a classy guy...

Left Nevada with my girlfriend at 6:45 am and dropped her off at her best friend's house in San Dimas at 9:30 am. The drive out went so quickly, it seemed like only an hour...

After visiting for awhile, I was back on the road headed to Mom's house. We went to Coco's and enjoyed a great lunch with good conversation. Next, we picked up a cheeseburger with grilled onions for Dad and a vanilla shake from In and Out.

When we walked into Dad's new room, 38 C, he was wearing his lounge pants, white tee shirt, socks and his sandals, sacked out, sound asleep on his bed. He still needs a hair cut, but it looks kinda cool, longer. He had a little whisker action going on and I thought he looked like Clint Eastwood. I walked over and rubbed his arm gently. He opened his eyes and said, "Hi Donna Dee"... that really warmed my heart. His eyes were bright blue and totally alert.

I told him I had a surprise for him. His reaction was like a little kid, so excited to hear what it was. I pulled out the cheeseburger and shake and he was already sitting himself up to eat. I raised his bed and placed a napkin into the top of his tee shirt. We could tell he was savoring every bite. I am amazed he did not get "brain freeze" the way he sucked the straw on the shake!

I unpacked and organized his belongings which had been kept in the nursing home's Social Worker's office. Dad had been moved out of the other room with the two roommates... (the one with the noisy radio). Now Dad has only one roommate, who is sleeping and bedridden.

Dad looked around the room, and told us, "This sure is a classy place"... and I told Dad, " A classy place, for a classy guy". His face just lit up with a huge smile. I just LOVE seeing my Dad smile...

We visited a while longer, and I was so happy to find Dad so engaged in the conversation and in us. Looking at us and really being "tuned in". Mom told Dad he looked real good, and Dad replied, "You don't look so bad yourself" and we all laughed.

Several of the staff stopped in to welcome Dad back and say hi to us. Dad mentioned he was still hungry, so I ask the CNA to get Dad two PB & Js on wheat bread with some non fat milk. I gave Dad some more hugs and kisses and told him I would see him tomorrow. My sister and I are going to pop over and visit him before we head off to our Scrap booking get together.

As we were leaving, the Admissions Director grabbed Mom to sign some more papers. That took up so much time, I had to drive Mom to her hair appointment. I waited for her and I was so tired I was nodding off in the hair dryer chair.

I had to stop for a caffeine dose before we drove out to La Verne to watch my nephew's football practice and visit with my second to the youngest brother. Mom had a difficult time watching her grandson bang helmets and tackle his team mates...

Got home just before dark. Mom made us a delicious lamb chop dinner, with fresh corn on the cob and beets. My sister arrived to spend the night with us and brought chocolate dipped macaroons for dessert. Yum!

I feel so grateful to see Dad so alert and happy... it just made my day...

No comments: