This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Saturday, April 9, 2011

WT?...Is He, Or Isn't He?

After all the back and forth with Dad's doctor telling me Dad is NOT DIABETIC....I get a call from the Director of Nursing yesterday (just I had laid down for a nice nap).... She told me Dad had a HBA1C (which is a 90 day look back on his blood sugar) on February 1, 2011.  He tested 7.2, which is considered diabetic.  He had two fasting blood tests, one February 3rd and one March 1st.  February was 119 and March was 127. 

Being a nurse, she cannot diagnose, so told me she would contact Dad's doctor and discuss these tests with him... She told me she had extensive experience with Diabetes, so she felt confident, Dad was a diabetic and his diet would have to be changed accordingly.  California has strict regulations for diabetic diets in nursing homes.

I warned her to be prepared, because if anyone messes with Dad's food, he will NOT be a happy camper!  I told her how fond he is of his ice cream, shakes and fruit plates.  I think if they give him fake sugar ice cream, he might taste the difference.  Regardless, as usual, we must go with it and see what happens...

So now I wait to hear back from her about what the doctor said...My head feels like a ping pong ball in a world tournament, with all this indecision...Hoping to find out...is Dad diabetic or not....

9 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

That is such a low A1C - is it all that important? He should have fun with his diet! sandie

Mari said...

Those numbers say to me also, that he is diabetic. That being said - those numbers are not awful and hopefully could be treated with oral meds as opposed to insulin shots.
It's interesting how different states have different regulations. Our diabetic residents can't go crazy with sugar laden food, but as long as we control their blood sugars, they are able to eat normally. When a person reaches the age of your Dad, the chances of having side effects from a minimally higher blood sugar are pretty slim, as it takes time for those to show up. That's why in Michigan there is more of a call for quality of life - less finger pokes, more normal diet, etc.
I'll be interested to hear what you find out.

Theres just life said...

It is the uncertainty that gets us. That and having to wait on other people. Hope you get your answer soon. Take care of yourself as well.

betty said...

I have to agree with what Mari said; at your dad's age quality of life which includes enjoyment of food should be taken into consideration when they are dealing with treating what potentially could be diabetes based on those lab values. I can understand strict regulations, at the same time I can also understand how hard it will be to deny your dad the best parts of his day enjoying food he likes to eat. What an ordeal this is, Donna for you all to get an answer and why you have to be the one to try to decipher what is going on! I am sure it is overwhelming!!

praying for you

betty

Southhamsdarling said...

Oh no Donna! What a pain. I know how much your dad loves his food, and I can imagine he won't be best pleased if his whole diet has to change. At his age, why can't they just let it alone, so that at least he's getting enjoyment from what he eats. Blessings to you.

The Blog of Bee said...

Living in a country where every other male is diabetic and suffers with high blood pressure, I am amazed to hear of the stringent laws you write about.

I was quite shocked on reading your earlier post where you said that your father had been given insulin. That is a major medication for such a relatively low figure. I agree with Mari and would have thought that Metformin and/or Diamicron would have been sufficient. But that depends on the type of diabetes Dad has.

Someone I know has a major problem in that her sugar levels can be totally out of whack. At one point recently she was reading over 500 and now with the combination of the two drugs I mentioned, she is back down to normal levels. I find that her levels rise when she is under severe stress or when her period is due - not that you father will be having those problems!

I think they should be able to alter his diet slightly but not to the point where he is being treated as a full blown diabetic - I's mot sure that he is as certain situations can affect your blood sugar levels.

Pat said...

I think that the American Diabetes Association now wants the A1C score to be BELOW 7. It definitely is something that should be looked into.

Jinksy said...

I was diagnosed as having type 2 diabetes a year or so back, after a fasting blood test registered 7.4, so I'd say yes, too. Since then, I've been able to control blood sugars with diet changes, without the need for pills. Good luck to you and your Dad...

gayle said...

I hope you find out soon what in the world is going on!! Shouldn't the doctor know if your dad is diabetic or not? This would be driving me crazy! I am so sorry that you are having to go through this!