This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Dad Said He Was Chased By The Police...

Mom went to visit Dad today and found him snoozing in his wheelchair, waiting in the dining room for his lunch. Doctor-Doctor came in to catch Mom. She told her Dad had gotten himself out of bed and went through the bathroom into the adjoining room. She had asked Dad why he got out of bed himself and Dad told her,

"Because the Police were after me!. I yelled yesterday because they challenged my authority..."

Doctor-Doctor had told Dad she would not allow anyone to get him. She would protect him. Mom was relieved Dad did not fall and hit his head or anything... She also noticed his left foot was freshly bandaged. When Mom mentioned it, Dad told her it was healing nicely and it did not hurt...

Dad still has his cough, but no temperature or sore throat. When I checked on him yesterday, I was surprised to learn Dad has been on Mucinex expectorant since his hospital stay in January...yet another thing I did not know.... When I mentioned his cough the other day after my conversation with Dad, the nurse told me she would give Dad "breathing treatments" and see if it helped. In any case, she would notify Dad's doctor...

As Mom sat with Dad as his lunch was served, she suddenly felt some one's hands on her shoulders, giving her a neck and shoulder massage....she turned to see it was my youngest brother, E_____. Dad gave Mom a huge grin, asking her, "Can you guess who this is?" My brother joined them and visited with Mom and Dad as Dad ate his lunch...

Dad  is concentrating on his lunch...Both Mom and Dad thought Dad seemed "subdued and more mellow than usual" this afternoon...

Before Dad has cleaned his plate, he asked his server for a fruit plate. Shortly he returned with this...my brother was so impressed he took a pic...

Dad's lunch fruit plate...

After Dad polished off his fruit plate, they all went out onto the patio to enjoy some sunshine, chatting for awhile. My brother asked Dad if he knew what Sunday was...

Dad gave my brother a blank stare...

Giving Dad a hint, E____ suggested to Dad, "It involves the cross..."

"Oh, I like those cars...."

Laughing, my brother tried again..."When Jesus Christ died on the cross and rose again..."

"Oh yeah...yeah...a very important time..."

Both Mom and my brother realized Dad was tired, so when Mom asked if he would like to take a nap, Dad was very agreeable and looked relieved. We all think he does not feel very well... I will be calling tomorrow to make sure the doctor is checking on him...

Walking down the hallway, on their way out to have lunch together, they met the Administrator and the new Director of Nursing (who called me about Dad being diabetic). They both told Mom they had both spoken with me...and hoped I was satisfied with their explanations about Dad's diabetes... Mom told them,

 "Oh don't worry, if she isn't happy, you will know about it!"

The Administrator remembers only to well when Dad has his fall, I had all my siblings and my Mother in his office for a family conference...with a walk through of where Dad was found and us all viewing the security tape together...

6 comments:

Mari said...

That's a nice looking fruit plate! They really feed him well.
Hope he is soon feeling better!

Jeanie said...

It must be so comforting to your mom to know how well you stay on top of things.

Southhamsdarling said...

Hi Donna. Wishing you blessings on this Easter weekend. That fruit plate was pretty impressive! They certainly do serve good food there! Hope dad will be okay.

betty said...

I love that "if she's not happy, you'll all know about it". That's good that you are such a good advocate for your dad and his health, Donna! That fruit plate did look good! I was impressed with how much was on it, the serving is very impressive! It was good for your mom to have the company of your brother when she was visiting! I hope if your dad wasn't feel well that the next visit he'll be feeling better.

bet you are enjoying your weekend!!!!

betty

gayle said...

So glad your dad didn't fall when he got out of bed!

As always, I enjoyed reading about your dad!

Happy Easter!

Linda O'Connell said...

Hope your dad is back to feeling better soon. Yes, you have to stay on top of everything in a care facility. Blessinsg.