This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Why Being Hyper-Vigilant Can Be A Good Thing...

After sending a second email and a phone call each day, I finally heard from Dad's primary physician.  I was surprised to discover, he does not have a chart on Dad at his office.  He uses the one the nursing home provides.  He too is frustrated by their policy to start a new chart if the patient stays longer than 3 days in a hospital.  I still intend to get hold of the Administrator and find out why they have this policy...I have left him a phone message and an email.

Dad's doctor determined Dad had been given some medication (which one was not mentioned) at the hospital this past January.  Apparently, this medication made his blood sugar go up.  He was given insulin at least twice to lower it.  The hospital labeled Dad a diabetic and that history was forwarded with him to the nursing home with his current orders for care.  So based on the hospital's orders, Dad's primary physician ordered Dad's blood sugar to be routinely checked. 

As of today, those orders have been canceled and it was clarified Dad is not a diabetic.

I am in a whirlwind of activity these days, keeping me from my blogging friends and writing... All creative pursuits have come to a temporary halt.  It has taken much longer than I originally anticipated... 

Tomorrow I hope to post some cute pics of baby Jacob and some of the projects around the house, which have been taking up so much of my time...

It's late, I gotta' hit the sack....

3 comments:

Mari said...

You are a good daughter! Yes - you need to stay on top of things and this is a great example why.
I hope you get something changed on this whole deal of starting a new chart. It's really beneficial to have all that history together!

betty said...

that is good to know, Donna, that you got to the bottom of it and that your dad is no longer labeled as a diabetic. But it would be good to know what the culprit medication was that rose his blood sugar to avoid that in the future for sure!

I'm with you; it makes no sense for the nursing home to start all these new charts; it doesn't do good for continuity of care

betty

Southhamsdarling said...

Well, I am so glad that you hung on in there Donna and finally got to the bottom of it! All that alone though can be quite wearing emotionally. Look forward to seeing photo of baby Jacob and what you've been getting up to round the house. Just keep thinking of that little Jacob, and he will make you smile! Take care.