This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Always A Silver Lining...

I finally was able to reach Dad.  I checked with the nurse first, and he still does have his cough, but when I spoke with him, his voice sounded real good.  Only problem, he didn't make much sense when he talked with me.  I felt like he could not hear me well either.

He knew right away who I was, and of course, remembered to ask about my husband, but he kept using the word Ensure, which is a drink he drinks with each meal... He spoke of it as if it were his medicine, curing all his problems...

He was non-stop chatting about the ladies...one of them was combing his hair...but he had limited space for the women because he only had a twin bed...

I asked if he enjoyed his lunch and he very enthusiastically told me how much he looks forward to his fruit plates.   When I told him my brother E____ had sent me a picture and how good it looked, he did not understand what I was talking about, so I changed the subject...

He wanted to take a nap, so I told him to enjoy his sleep and to have sweet dreams...he told me there is always a silver lining when he is up in age and is thankful to the Lord...

Dad sounded better, which is a relief.  His attitude was upbeat and happy and he knew who I was.  I am grateful and feel more comfortable now.

4 comments:

Mari said...

Hearing for yourself is always best - and it just makes you feel better!

betty said...

Glad you were able to connect with your dad, Donna! I also think it is so neat that he has his faith and belief in the Lord; I think that would be so comforting, know what I mean?

betty

Linda O'Connell said...

It is always a comfort when you can rest assured that he is happy.

Pat said...

I'm glad you finally had a chance to talk with your Dad. I know it gives you comfort to hear his voice, even if he sometimes doesn't talk sense.