This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A Walk On The Weird Side...

After two weeks, I finally reached Dad. I have been getting all the excuses, which happens some times... but I have been so irritated not being able to spend some time with him.    I prefer to talk with him in the morning, and tonight was a perfect example why...

Often, later in the day, Dad gets sun downers, which makes him contrary or more "out there" than he is during the day...then again, I did wake him....In the evenings, we never know what reaction we will get...

The nurse told me to hold on while she transfers the call to the nurse assisting Dad on the phone...

"I want to talk to him, I want him to come visit me right now, this minute!"

"Hi Papa-doots, it's me, Donna Dee your firstborn..."

He began coughing and held the phone away from his mouth, but I could still hear him coughing...His voice was very deep...

"Ahhhhhhh.... ooooooooo Oh Donna dear, what a wonderful dream to wake up to... thank you for washing my face..."

"Did I wake you up?"

"Yes, I was having the most beautiful dream, but I can't remember what it was..."

"I love you and miss you.  I am going to come and see you in a couple of weeks..."

"When are you coming?"

"In May, just a couple of weeks from now...I want to see your handsome face and give you kisses..."

More coughing...then his voice sounded more "normal"...

"De Da, de da, toosh, toosh, de ta, de ta....(laughs)"

Uncertain what he is doing or trying to say...I repeated myself, " I love you Dad... How are you feeling?"

"I love you too my dear.."

More coughing...

"Dad?  Are you sick? Do you have a cold?"

"Yes, but they are giving me some medicine..."

"How do you feel?"

"I feel GREAT!  I'm just fine.... I'm watching the traffic control and I know I am on my way to the last paradise...You tell your dear husband how much I love him.  It is so good he takes such good care of himself and of you..."

"We both love you so much Dad."

" Yes, I love you too ..."

"I bet you are looking forward to a good dinner, huh?"

"I am going to say good bye now...I have to get control of these people here..."

"OK...I'll let you get ready for dinner...I will see you in a couple of weeks..."

"Thank you for calling dear...good bye."  (Click)

I feel frustrated...talk about a walk on the weird side!

3 comments:

Mari said...

Sundowners is really crazy. We have often said it's like a switch turns on around 4pm, and lots of people get more confused and restless.
Glad you were able to talk to him, for just a little bit!

betty said...

I have to agree, talking in the morning would be the best choice for you and your dad to be able to make a "connection" so to speak. You would think the nursing home would realize that too and try to do their best to make your dad available when you call, especially if you are making multiple attempts to reach him and haven't been able to talk with him. Seems too that they could have blocks of times when families can call that they will make sure their loved ones are available.

But it is good you will be seeing him soon!!

betty

Unknown said...

walking on the weird side is one of the things we do here in the world but always think this when you step! just step carefully..

Land For Sale in Tx