This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Weight of The World...

I called the nursing home today to talk with Dad.  The charge nurse informed me Dad's left foot was slightly swollen, purplish and cold to the touch.  They no longer put the compression stockings on Dad because he does not like them.  All they will do is have him elevate his feet.  This usually happens in the hotter months. Dad has terrible circulation in both his legs.

I informed her about Dad's primary, possibly ordering the CT SCAN.  She told me she was just going to call him, so she would mention that to him as well.  I told her I would be coming to California the end of this month, for my daughter's baby shower, and if they would schedule the scan for Monday morning, I would go with Dad.  Mornings are the best time for Dad.  The later in the day, the worse our chances are for him cooperating...

I wanted to speak with Dad, but he was in the shower with the attendant...

When I called back later, the nurse told me the primary was ordering a Doppler test for Dad tomorrow morning.  She told me they put some socks on him and it seemed to warm up his feet.  I have no idea how they would allow Dad to have bare feet and be in a wheel chair, and I told her so.  He could easily bruise his ankle bone or tear the skin on his foot.

I asked if the primary would order the CT Scan.  She told me he would wait one week, then come to see Dad, and I guess review the Doppler results too.  She said she told him about my being in town and would accompany Dad for a CT Scan and requested it in the morning.  He told her, "they had plenty of time"...
Interesting...

Today is one of those days, it feels like the weight of the world in on me...

7 comments:

Mari said...

I'm sorry. I can understand how you feel all that weight on you. Just know you are a wonderful daughter, you love your Dad and are a great advocate for him. It's hard from a distance and the Dr is not helping the situation!

Betty W said...

Don´t give up. I know, we all have those days. I´m sure tomorrow will be better and maybe everything will look brighter.
Thinking of you!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I know you're frustrated being so far away.

Jeanie said...

Take a deep breath and realize all that you are doing and as Mari above said, you have been a great daughter and have been a great advocate for your Dad.

betty said...

glad your dad is getting that Doppler study, Donna; worried me when I read the description of his foot

It is hard to be a caregiver and that is what you are, even though your dad is in a nursing home. But you are the one keeping lines of communication open, contacting doctors, setting this up, setting that up, shielding phone calls from your dad to go to you instead of your mom, etc and it wears on a person. I can see why you feel the weight of the world is on your shoulders. Those who are caregivers rarely take time for themselves (so make sure you do).

hugs to you because I know it is hard for you to keep on top of things, etc. You are a very good advocate for your dad!

betty

gayle said...

I am worried that the dr is going to drag his feet and not get your dad's test scheduled while you are there!! Keep pushing for it!! I can't even imagine how hard this is for you!!

Rose said...

I was the caregiver for mom and dad. it's a tough role and a sad one. so much responsibility. seeing your loved one degress. in your situation, not being in the same town. you can do only so much. it sounds like you are doing the best you can.