This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

God Help the Defenseless...

I canceled Dad's appointment with the Neurologist today.  I found out from his snotty receptionist, one of the doctors ordered Dad to have a CT SCAN when he was hospitalized for his fall, after I specifically told them NOT TO!  No doubt, it explains Dad's weird, garbled, drugged sounding voice, my sister and I were concerned about.  We thought it was from the blow to his head when he fell.

When she told me, "Your Dad had a CT SCAN in the hospital and he did just fine."

I told her, "Excuse me, but YOU don't know my Father well enough to know if he was "just fine".

The neurologist wants to do ANOTHER CT SCAN to determine if Dad still has the bleed, before he will allow Dad's doctor to resume the blood thinners.

Dad's primary care physician's office finally called me back later last night, after I called his office four times yesterday.  When his staff member called me, it was after 6pm.  I had explained if I didn't hear from the doctor, I would cancel Dad's appointment today.  I needed to hear back from them before 5pm, so I had already canceled the appointment.

The woman from his office told me the fall caused a clot that burst, so Dad basically had a stroke.  NEWS TO ME!  NEVER was told that information in that way before, nor had any of my family. We need to find out from Dad's doctor what risks are we faced with if we DON'T resume the blood thinners?
I have written the primary care doctor yet another email, with questions.  I stated we would NOT reschedule the neurologist appointment until after we heard from him.  Let's hope it motivates him to return my email or call me.

God help the defenseless...I pity all the patients in nursing homes who have no one to fight for them...

9 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That is just terrible. Our system is wacked.
Keep fighting for your father.

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

You have my heartfelt sympathy, I have had ct scans in the past because I am epiletic which shows which type of the illness I has, However your father surely if he has had a stroke needs blood thinning medication, You must speak up for your dad as he must be frail and can't communicate for himself, I wish you Good luck.
Yvonne.

Mari said...

Does you Dad get visited in the Nursing home by the Primary care Doctor? Our Dr tries to see everyone about every 5 weeks, but does see them at least every 2 months. He is available to talk to families on that visit day, but will also talk to them by phone on any other day he is there. It's a good way for our families to get answers. It seems that the Primary Dr could give you some answers without having to go in to a neurologist and especially undergoing a CT scan.

Tammy said...

I'm so sorry to read about your struggles with your dad. Your family is in my prayers!

Anonymous said...

I'm horrified that they didn't tell you about the stroke. You shouldn't have had to find out from a staff member way after the event.

It's wonderful the way you care for your dad. But I sympathise with the amount of effort you have to go to on his behalf. As you say, pity those who don't have someone...

Penny

Jeanie said...

What a mess...it makes me a little fearful of the whole system. And I agree, I pity those in your dad's situation who don't have anyone to advocate for them.

septembermom said...

That's terrible and scary. Your dad is lucky to have you in his corner. I'll pray for both of you.

gayle said...

You are so right!! Your dad and mom are so lucky to have you! We have to stay on top of things for our loved ones!!

Donna said...

HI Donna, just dropping by. What a nightmare. I don't know what is going on with doctor's staff, but I have found in dealing with them lately, they sure let things slip through the cracks. It is like the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing. I guess it really means we have to stay on top of our own health, and not depend on the staff to get back to us. Your Dad is so lucky to have you to do this.