This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Friday, June 4, 2010

And I'll tell you again...

I called the DON this morning and she immediately reassured me she would talk to the nurse and explain why Dad would be wearing the guard on his wrist.  I sure hope they are diligent with it, otherwise we will NOT be so forgiving if it would happen again!!

Mom went to visit Dad and got there as they served him his lunch.  She fed him fish, stewed tomatoes, carrot salad, bread, 3 glasses of milk, coffee and Doctor-Doctor brought him a fruit plate with cantaloupe, watermelon, orange slices and cottage cheese.  Dad wolfed that down too.

It was such a warm, beautiful day, Mom suggested they go visit out on the patio.  Dad was thrilled to be outside.  He so enjoys the colorful flowers.  Dad always considered himself a Farmer, because he loved toiling in the earth.  He and Mom would plant a garden every season.  Nothing like those fresh veggies...yum!

Dad spoke softly and flitted from topic to topic like a bee pollinating flowers.  Mom sat, smiled and nodded her head in agreement.  While they were visiting, one of Dad's fellow Pastor friends, he used to work with, stopped by to visit with Dad.  Dad was so happy to see him.  Dad and he worked as volunteer Chaplains and visited the hospital and nursing home where Dad was first admitted with his pneumonia.

His friend gave Dad all the updates on some of their mutual friends and gave him messages from various friends, patients and co-workers who asked about Dad.  Doctor-Doctor stopped in and Dad introduced her as his wife.  The Pastor's eyes widened as he quickly glanced to Mom to check her expression.  Mom smiled and told him Dad had several wives.  He winked at Mom letting her know he understood.

The Pastor left and the Social Worker walked up to them and asked if they would each like some soda with ice.  Dad guzzled it down without blinking.  Mom was getting sleepy sitting outside, despite being under a nice shady umbrella.  She asked if Dad was tired and he told her he would like to take a nap.

Mom wheeled Dad inside back to his room.  The CNA was in the process of getting Dad's room mate into bed.  She had just finished showering him.  Mom and Dad sat in the hallway while she was taking care of his room mate.  Dad told Mom how well they take care of them there and how much he enjoyed his room mate. 

When Mom could move Dad into his room, Dad pointed to the large cabbage roses on the wall border, lining his room.  He told Mom he talks to them and they give him so much peace.  Mom asked if the larger roses represented the Caregivers, and Dad perked up with a big smile, as if Mom really understood what he was referring to.

As Mom tucked Dad in, asking if he was comfortable, he looked up at her, telling her she was "still gorgeous".  She thanked him as she gave him a kiss and told him, "You've told me that before..."  Dad touched her face and said, "And I'll tell you again..."

7 comments:

Mari said...

I'm glad you got the wander guard thing straightened out.
Your parents are both so special. It's a blessing that your Mom is able to handle all your Dad's "wives". Not all women understand that and will take it personally.

betty said...

how sweet with your dad saying he will tell your mom again she is still gorgeous. sounds like a good visit; I bet it made your mom feel good to see your dad eating so heartedly like that; glad the pastor was able to come too to share some fellowship with your dad

this is so poignant to me these days reading about your dad since my MIL just went into assisted living this past week since her husband (both in their mid 80s) could not take care of her any more with her Parkinson's and associated dementia. She is struggling with being there and wants to go home. Meanwhile her hubby has had some health issues this week so my husband and his brother know it was the wise choice to do this but it still is hard for all of them to deal with. hugs to you all

betty

WhiteStone said...

Poignant. Sweet.

Jo said...

Aw ... that's beautiful -- your Dad telling your Mom she is still gorgeous. It makes me believe in true love. :-)

gayle said...

Reading about your mom and dad makes me feel as if I know them. While I am happy reading this, I am sad too!

Donna B. said...

Mari: Me too. My sister got a pic of it on his left wrist. Thank you, Mom has never been the jealous type. We all give Dad a lot of slack under his present situation.

betty: You better believe we are all so very grateful for the good days...because the bad ones are so horrible.

If you think it might help, go to my labels and read the beginning of my blog when Dad was first admitted. We had a terrible time, but we had some good advice. I hope it helps. At least you will know it is all "normal behavior" for what they are going through.

Mom was 82 when Dad was admitted at 88. It is very tough for those half her age!

Whitestone: Thank you so much! Great to hear from you. Hope you are well.

Rabideau: Interesting quote...

Jo: My Dad is still madly in love with my Mom after over 60 years of marriage.

Gayle: Aaaaaah, thank you! That is such a compliment. You are so compassionate and such a wonderful part of my support.

septembermom said...

Your Dad is a sweet talker!