This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving was "just another day" for Dad...

My sister and her husband went to visit Dad at the nursing home, before going over to my brother and sister in laws to join the family for Thanksgiving. They found Dad in the dining room, relishing turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, ambrosia salad, rolls with butter (all covered in gravy), pumpkin pie, milk and coffee.  They kind of sat and smiled as he devoured every single crumb or drop.

Afterward, my sister invited Dad to go sit out on the patio among the trees and flowers, which he eagerly wanted to do. Dad recognized her husband and was very happy to see him. Dad's word of the day was "medical history" and she said he must have said it at least 15 times. She reassured me, Dad had no idea it was Thanksgiving.  To him, it was "just another day".

Dad's doctor and taken him off the appetite enhancer pill, so he now has the sensation of fullness.  My sister said after about a half hour, he kept getting droopy eyes, like he was ready to fall asleep.  No wonder from all the food he packed away!!  She noticed the lesion on his right eye did not look as good as it had in the past, but the lesion on his lip looked a lot better.

They wheeled him back to his room, and he was anxious to get into bed and get all cozy.  My sister said it looked like he would be catching some z's, any minute.  They hugged him good-bye, as he was already closing his eyes.  My sister whispered, "Happy Thanksgiving Dad, I am so thankful for you"...

No comments: