This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Investigating Izzy...

Today I finally got ahold of the animal shelter, where we adopted Izzy.  A very nice woman helped me with Izzy's history.  I had begun to suspect she had been turned in more than once, due to all the shots she had listed on her medical history, and so close together...

The lady told me Izzy came in the first time as a stray, the beginning of August, then was adopted the 15th and was sprayed, microchipped and had her rabies shot.  Izzy had to recover from the surgery and was not picked up by the new owner (which was a woman) until the 29th of August.  The new owner turned her back in October 19th, due to "bad living conditions".  To me, I would interpret that as "abuse".  If her home was foreclosed upon, I would think she would have said, "I lost my house".

So maybe she was abused and ran away the first time, but I really feel strongly she was abused at the adopted owner's home.  It may take a good three months to six months before she realizes she is here to stay and this is her home, and that my husband only wants to love her...

I took her to a lady Vet for a well visit, and the Vet said she thought Izzy might be a Carin Terrier/ Yorky mix.  The nice lady at the Animal Shelter, told me Carin terrier as well.  That was my first instinct when I saw her.  She reminded me of one of our grand doggies, Sully, who is a Carin Terrier.  She is not as stocky as Sully, but she definitely has the coat and markings. She said she weighed 12.5 pounds, (she weighed 10 when we got her) and was a year and a half.  The shelter told me she was a year old.

She still seems so afraid of my husband.  He is so frustrated and tries to very hard to get her to like him.  I think he should acknowledge her, but leave her alone, and kind of ignore her, unless she comes up to him.  She seems so anxious when he is trying to play with her or talk with her.  She prefers to sit at a distance from him, and cock her head listening to him.  She enjoys rolling around on his scent, after he has gotten up.  She will even lick where he had laid.  It seems like she wants to like him, but is too afraid of what he might do... that is definitely learned behavior, that needs to be changed.

Since we will be home this Thanksgiving, maybe we will have more time for him to walk with us, and eventually, try taking her out to walk just the two of them together... None the less, more time for us all to be together, is a very good thing...

No comments: