This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Care Conference for Dad...

This morning Mom and I attended Dad's Care Conference.  Mom in person, me via conference call.  The physical therapist was the first to report, as he had to return to his patients.  He told us he got Dad into an exercise routine to increase his flexibility and strength from being in the hospital for almost a week.  Dad was doing well, no complaints and was doing some walking with assistance.  Dad told him he was worried about losing his upper body strength, so they are incorporating appropriate exercises to accommodate it for him. 

Did is using a front wheel walker and still not allowed to wear shoes.  He wears slipper socks when he is exercising, and his foam booties while in his wheel chair or in bed.  The wound care nurse is treating Dad's pinkie toe and keeping a watchful eye so no one puts shoes on Dad.

The nutritionist reported Dad has gained 15 pounds in the past six months.  He now weighs 157 pounds!  Needless to say, we all know there is nothing wrong with Dad's appetite!

Mom and I decided I would be the only one on the emergency sheet.  I would be the first contact and then I will call her and every one else in the family.  They confirmed my address and phone numbers.

The social director told us a lot of the staff decided to wear funny wigs today... she had a bleached blond wig on, and everyone commented Dad would love it.  She also mentioned she was going to ask Dad to help her plant some raised flower beds.  Last year, she enlisted Dad to plant flowers in all the flower boxes out on the patio.  Dad, being a former horticulturist, is in his element working with plants and the earth.

She shared with us how Dad had been watching Beaches with Bette Midler and how he was laughing his head off while watching it.  She and other staff members got such a kick from his hearty laughter...

Rather than have the head nurse read off all Dad's medications, I asked her to send me a current list of the medication he is taking.  She told me Dad had finished his antibiotics and would probably be getting off the anti-depressants he has been on. The Psychiatrist had last seen Dad on 1-7-11 and had ordered it. They all remarked at how happy  and content Dad is.  We told them how anxious Dad was to get back to the nursing home...

We discussed emergency response and we agreed to full medical treatment should CPR be required.

Dad has his teeth cleaned every three months.    I got the name of the dentist who comes to treat him so I can follow up and get further information.

Dad saw the Podiatrist 1-11-11 to have his toe nails trimmed.

Dad had his eyes checked by the Opthamologist and reported his latest glasses were adequate.  Dad only wears them when he reads his Bible.  Most times when I visit, he is not wearing his glasses.  We discussed a recommendation of the Opthamologist to refer Dad to a Ocular Plastics for the lumps on his eyes.  We also discussed rescheduling his consult with the Opthamologist. 

Since we all have decided if a biopsy or surgery was required, Dad would freak out, and we don't want to upset Dad nor do we want to have him sedated.  So for now, we will leave it alone and continue to treat it topically and with antibiotics.  We have determined we would only consider it if it was a matter of life or death. 

There were no changes on the Doppler test, other than the preliminary findings, which I posted a couple of days ago... We discussed Dad's compression stockings.  It was agreed the damage to Dad's legs has been done, so if we can get him to allow the nurses to put them on, fine, if not, we will not press the issue with Dad.  We just want him to be comfortable and as stress free as possible.

All in all it was a good conference.

7 comments:

Mari said...

Sounds like an excellent conference! It was good to hear!

JeannetteLS said...

Sounds like an unusually productive conference. I remember such conferences about my sister and it was a struggle to get people to listen to what was needed to get her out of the convalescent center and home, to get in synch with one another, even. I am so glad there are people who pick upon your dad's love of growing things, his laugher... HIS HUMANITY. You already know what I think of YOUR caregiving where he is concerned. Have a wonderful evening when it arrives out there.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Hey Donna! Realized I hadn't checked on you and your father in a while. Sounds like you got the full scoop on the conference call. And if he's laughing at Beaches, then he has to be doing okay!

Chatty Crone said...

Whew that sounds like he got the one over - and it sounded like good results - I'm glad. sandie

betty said...

I think it was a good conference; I think it is neat that your dad will be involved with the planting! Could be good for his "soul" if you know what I mean. To be productive and help with something he enjoys doing. I think it is really neat you step up consistently to be the first contact in cases of emergency, etc. I know your mother must be so grateful for that!

hang in there Donna!

betty

Southhamsdarling said...

It certainly sounds like a very positive conference call to me. Blessings indeed, Donna! How wonderful that they are going to get dad involved with the planting. He does sound very content at the moment, and I am so pleased.

gayle said...

I am so glad everything is going well! Sounds like everyone is doing what they are suppose to.