This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Monday, April 19, 2010

Checkers, anyone??

Yesterday, my sister and brother arrived at the nursing home to visit Dad, just as Dad and I were finishing our phone conversation...

They all hugged hello and then asked Dad if he would like to go out on the patio.  On their way out, they saw Doctor Doctor and waved to her...

My brother asked if Dad would like to play Checkers and Dad was excited to play.  Dad chose black and my brother took red.  They had only been playing a few minutes when Doctor Doctor appeared with some coffee, and a piece of chocolate cake with a fork.  Intent on the game, Dad grabbed the cake, ignoring the fork on the plate, and began to devore the dessert.

My sister joked, saying, "Guess it is a crumb cake" as my brother and she watched a pile on chocolate cumbs tumble into Dad's lap.  Dad was too engrossed in the game to notice...

Dad was telling my sister about his room mates,  how much he enjoyed them and how well they all got along.  My brother took out his cell phone and began to video the conversation...

One of the nurses joined them on the patio with Dad's meds.  She told Dad, "Doctor Doctor said for you to take your medication", so Dad popped the cup of pills into his mouth, swallowed it in one gulp and chased it down with a small cup of Ensure.

After about 3o minutes, Dad grew tired.  Dad had already had successfully "King'd" four of his checkers to my brothers, two, so my brother graciously conceded that  Dad had won.  My brother remarked at how "present" and coherent Dad was.  There were brief comments from Dad about how the staff could read their minds and how he and his room mates could finish one another's sentences...

They could tell he was exhausted, and before they could wheel him back in, one of the Aides came out to ask if he could take Dad to his room to rest.  They hugged, sharing their love and kissed Dad good bye...

My brother was impressed and relieved.  Both he and my sister left happily... Both of them appreciated the great visit they had shared...

5 comments:

Tahereh said...

oh wow -- is this part of a novel?? great snippet!

septembermom said...

That does sound like a great visit full of love and connection.

betty said...

it does sound like it was a good visit; I'm sure it is reassuring for you all to see that it seems like your dad is being taken care of really well

betty

Donna B. said...

Tahereh: No, not yet anyway...later. This blog is mainly about our familie's journey with our Father who was admitted to a nursing home a year ago in June for Alzheimers. To read more on Dad, go to my labels under Dad.

Kelly: Thanks for stopping by...yeah, it was a great visit. My phone call before and then my sister and brother coming just at the end of our conversation. PERFECT TIMING! I am so proud of my Dad....

Betty: It is the biggest Blessing that we have him in this facility. They are so wonderful and care for him as if he was a member of THEIR family!

gayle said...

Glad to read that another visit went well!!