This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Saturday, June 30, 2012

What next....

I received a phone call from the nursing home.  Dad has been diagnosed with Scabies.  He was given the first treatment June 28th and will get the second one July 9th.

Dad is covered with rashes.  I noticed it when I last visited him on the 23rd.  I spoke with the head nurse today and asked her to talk with Dad's caretaker for the day and find out the percentage of Dad's body covered with rashes and the location of those rashes.  She is suppose to call me back today.

I am concerned because Dad's cancer on his left pinky toe is infected and antibiotics are not working....hence the Cryotherapy treatments.  I am concerned the infection could be spreading within his body...

Yesterday, Mom had a meeting with the Neptune Society and made the arrangements for Dad.  We needed to make his final arrangements so when the time comes, Mom can call Neptune and they will get Dad and take care of everything.... Otherwise, the nursing home would contact some mortuary and we would be forced to deal with them.

Mom plans on making her arrangements also so we do not have to deal with it.  I could hear the relief in Mom's voice.  She also attended a seminar and heard a hospice nurse, Barbara Karnes, whose presentation was on the same subject of her most recent book, Gone From My Sight, the Dying Experience.

Mom got so much comfort and reassurance from her talk, she ordered her book.  Interested, I googled Karnes and watched her video.  I found it very positive and uplifting and confirmed many of the thoughts and feelings I have had.

The video is an hour and a half, but very worthwhile.  I wanted to share it with you...


4 comments:

betty said...

Sorry about the scabies diagnosis, Donna. Wonder if others at the nursing home were affected by it too?

I am "glad" that arrangements have been put into place for when that time comes. I said it before but my mom planned her whole thing years before she died and paid for it. It was such a relief for my sister to just call the mortuary and have them take care of the rest, which included shipping my mom's body from the DC area to Pennsylvania. I think it was the best most unselfish gift she gave us, especially when 5-1/2 years later I saw the "grief" hubby/brother went through when trying to plan their parents' funerals.

betty

Southhamsdarling said...

Hi Donna. I'm sorry to hear that dad isn't doing so well at the moment, but I think it's such a good idea that your mum has put everything in place, both for her and your dad. It certainly makes it much easier for the rest of the family if you know that their wishes are being carried out, and I can imagine the relief that your mum felt. I know it might sound silly, but I actually have all my funeral arrangements written down, as I think it will help my hubby and my daughters, and they will know that they are doing what I wanted. Hope you are keeping well yourself. Take care.

JeannetteLS said...

And the thing that always gets to me, Donna, is that you keep on thinking of everyone else, no matter what else may be happening for you. And you take the time to find such a video and share it with all of us.

Just now, I am not sure I can watch the video, but know I am thinking of you, of your dad, your mom. With love, Jetty.

Linda O'Connell said...

Donna, are you sure the rashes are not a reaction to medication? My husband developed rashes like that and discovered it was a reaction to Feldine. Take care and know that ohters think about you.