This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Slowing Down and Enjoying the Sunshine...

Mom went to visit Dad today and found him snoozing in his wheel chair in the dining room where the Pastor was reading to a room full of residents in Spanish...Dad will attend any activity involving the Bible, English or not...

One of the care givers saw Mom and wheeled Dad to her.  His face lit up when he saw her and agreed happily when she suggested they go sit out on the patio.  Dad remarked several times how good the sun felt on his back.

The sunshine obviously made Dad sleepy as he kept his eyes closed most of the time they visited.  Mom asked him if he was awake and he replied, "I like Nick.  He is doing a great job on the re-landscaping out in front..."  (Mom is used to the odd and abstract responses from Dad, so she politely agreed what a great job Nick is doing...

Mom complimented Dad on his sharp new crewcut.  Dad smiled and told her he liked it too... Mom chatted along filling Dad in on the latest family news.  Dad told her he would pray for everyone.

Surprisingly, Dad has his glasses on, and again, Mom complimented Dad on how nice he looked in his glasses and how good it was he was wearing them. 

"I like to see the activities on the bulletine board.  It makes me happy.  I like to go where it makes me happy...

Mom agreed and told him she was proud of him.  She asked if he had a nice breakfast...

"DELICIOUS!  I had chinese food with some stuff in it...I like to mix it all up every chance I get."

Seeing Dad with his eyes closed so much of her visit, she asked if he was sleepy...

"No, I am not sleepy, I am resting my eyes.  I won't fall asleep while we are visiting..."

Mom mentioned the Angels were in 2nd place and Dad smiled.  She told him she was watching the Kings in the Stanley Cup Play offs, but he did not seem too interested...  "Isn't today the Preakness?" she asked...

"I am not preaching today." Dad mumbled.  Dad obvioulsy misheard her and is not wearing his hearing aids, but it does seem his interest in horse racing has diminished...

Mom told him she had the Brazilian Pepper Tree trimmed and Dad smiled.  Dad planted and shaped that particular tree some 55 years ago...it is a stunningly beautiful tree in front of our parents home.
Mom told him it looked so good, their daughter in law took the tree trimmer's card to do some of the trees in their backyard.

Mom asked if he remembered when he went to their son's home and trimmed some of their trees from the back of his truck bed, standing on a ladder and hurt his back.  Dad did not remember any of it...

Mom noticed Dad seemed very subdued.  We all agree Dad seems to be really slowing down...which is perfectly normal consider he will be 92 this November.  Even the nurses commented to Mom how Dad used to joke, laugh and sing and has been much more quiet and sleepy.

When lunch was being served, Mom wheeled him back into the dining room.  She parked him at his usual table with his friend who always wears the Navy cap.  They saluted one another and call themselves "Captain".  The woman who Dad said was brillant and his attorney was ranting and raving on the other side of the lunchroom...

Dad smacked his lips as his eyes focused on his lunch of cubed beets, mashed potatoes with chicken gravy, breaded chicken breast, green salad, whole wheat bread and butter, a slice of Angelfood cake, two glasses of milk and coffee.  Pickles told him she had a fruit plate for him if he wanted it, but he either forgot was too full.  Mom cut up his chickent breast and he was able to feed himself pretty well.

Mom gave Dad a hug and a smooch and he waved good bye to her...  As Mom was leaving she told Pickles she would be gone for two weeks to Ohio to visit her son and see her grand son graduate.  Pickles asked if Mom had told Dad and Mom assured her she had not done so.  Both of them agreed it would be better not to tell Dad as he probably won't notice Mom's absence.

All in all, it was a good visit and Dad seemed very content.


2 comments:

betty said...

Congratson your nephew graduating, Donna! I'm sure your mom will enjoy her visit with your brother/family. Your dad lived a great life, not many of us get to be almost 92 and to have had the adventures he had and the love of his family! I think it is neat that he wants to go to anything with the Bible not caring what language it is in. I have heard/read on other people's blogs that people with dementia and had a faith that rarely (if ever) did they lose their faith even though they might lose their memories. I even read on one where a preacher who had suffered with dementia would still preach the gospel even though no one was listening. God is faithful and his word will endure forever. I am glad your dad seemed content too......

(I'm not writing your dad off, don't get me wrong, I just realistically realize, like you all do, what the inevitable will be one day; it is great that he has such a loving family and is getting such wonderful care!)

betty

janis said...

Hi Donna~
Im trying to get caught up in Blog World... I recently have become my Dad's care giver and, well it's been a BUSY 4 weeks.
I was just thinking about you the other day... how I wandered onto your blog... how my Hubby & I considered relocating to Henderson {which is currently off the radar right now}. also, I find myself paying attention to the details at the assisted living place Dad has moved too.
I do believe things happen for a reason..
maybe I was meant to find your blog..
not because we were going to be moving to Henderson but maybe I needed to read about your Dad's journey to prepare me for my Dads.

anyway...Thank you.. You write beautifully and I do appreciate your honesty and well written blog♥