This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Hard Work, Knowledge, Attitude and Love of God...

Yesterday, my husband's life long,best friend and his wife, drove to our house from their time share at the Hilton, to spend the day together.  They came to town Thursday, but her brother and his wife and family flew into Vegas to visit with them and celebrate some family birthdays.  They decided to meet in Vegas so they could visit with them, but also with us.  We had a great day, as we always do when we get together.  They return to California today.

I checked on Dad, while we were out and he was doing the same.  We are all very blessed to have had the same nurse watch over Dad since his arrival on the third floor of the hospital. We appreciate so much the hard work and dedication of these wonderful people with skilled knowledge who choose this particular work of care giving.  Still stable, and a bit more alert.  He did test positive for the MERS again...I expected it with all the antibiotics he constantly has been taking...

This morning I called and his male nurse told me, despite his Foley catheter, Dad tried to get out of bed.  Thankfully, this particular nurse, who also took care of Dad last May during his fall, keeps close tabs on Dad and got to him before he almost fell out of the bed. We are so very blessed...

Dad can be very determined and stubborn.  He gave the nurse a difficult time about wanting to get up and walk around... so the nurse had to put a chest restraint on him to prevent him from getting out or falling.  He assured me there were no restraints on Dad's wrists.  He could move around the bed, but his movements would be restrained if he tried to sit up or slide out of the bed.  The nurse said he might be able to remove the restraint this afternoon, but it depended on how Dad was doing.

His blood sugar is "like a roller coaster", according to the nurse, mainly due to his bladder infection.  He believes Dad will probably be kept another two to three days. 

I was able to speak with Dad briefly, before his lunch was served.  Dad had just awoke, so his voice sounded garbled.  He was talking a blue streak, and I was having difficulty understanding him, but I think he was telling me he wanted to get up and the "big guy" was making him stay in bed.  He also told me he liked the food but not the coffee.  He likes the coffee better over at "the other place".

I told Dad I was happy he was feeling better and stronger, but he HAD to stay in bed and do what the nurses told him to do, so he can get completely better.  I urged him to keep his usual positive attitude and follow the rules. I reminded him to be humble and be filled with the love of God, assuring him I knew it was a challenge to have to stay in bed.  Dad would always bring up trusting in the Lord and remembering the love of God when mentoring me about some difficulty in  my life... I could tell Dad was smiling when he promised he would "take it as it comes" and follow my advice.

Besides his family, Dad loves mathematics and science.  He also has tremendous love of God.  Both he and Mom have always taught us the value of hard work, knowledge, attitude and the love of God.  Ironically, today, Mom sent me another video via email.  I am including the link below.  Please watch it to the end, and you will see why I chose to share it with you...(nicer if you turn on your sound too :} )

Mathematics

Have a great week every one...

5 comments:

Southhamsdarling said...

That video was absolutely amazing, Donna, and I loved the music as well! Goodness knows who thought it all up, but it was so clever. Brilliant! Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

Mari said...

Thanks for the update on your Dad. I'm glad they are keeping a close watch on him. He's always thinking and I think he's pretty quick too!
The video was so cool!

gayle said...

I love the video! Thanks so much for sharing! Hope I can figure out how to email it to family.

Glad your dad is being taken good care of!

Unknown said...

That's good news that your dad is being given great care. He sounds like he's happy other than not being able to get out of bed.

Rose said...

alot going on with your dad. It's tough when they have to slow down and they get restless. my thoughts and prayers for you and your family.God Bless Rose