This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A change is gonna come and he may not like it...

The nursing home called Mom (NOT me AGAIN!!) to let her know Dad's room mate has some kind of an infection.  Since Dad has open sores on his ear and his left foot, for safety sake, they will have to move him.  Dad may not like that...he hated change BEFORE he had dementia/Alzheimer's, and hates it even worse NOW.

The Social Worker told Mom they could probably move him back, once the room mate's infection is gone. The next Care Conference for Dad is scheduled for February 23, 2010 at 11:30am.  I will be in my primary care physician's office finding out how my cholesterol and triglycerides have been doing these last four months walking Izzy and giving up cheese...

Dad has horn-like (hard and crusty) things that pop up on his ears, elbows, hands and face.  He will scratch himself, making it bleed. He has always had dry skin and used to itch constantly.  I also noticed prior to the nursing home, he would itch out of nervousness. Since coming to the nursing home, the wound care nurse has worked wonders with his skin.  None of us have ever seen it so smooth and soft!! The wound care nurse also called, and spoke to Mom (not me) telling her Dad's ear had opened up again, so she was medicating it.

She told Mom how much she missed seeing her, and Mom told her that her work schedule had changed.  Mom used to work in the afternoon, so she could visit in the morning.  Now, she works in the morning and is generally too pooped to visit in the afternoon, especially with her Caregivers Support Group...

I have tried several times to call to check on Dad, but I can't even get the nursing station!  No doubt everyone is bustling around moving him, and unless his Angel is there, Dad is going to let every one know how unhappy he is about moving!!  He has his wall of love we made him, with all my paintings, various cards, pictures of the great-grand kids...he will have a fit if that is left behind...

I HATE not being able to talk with Dad to calm him down...I want to know he is OK...

6 comments:

Mari said...

Change is hard for all of us and I think the older we get, the harder it is. On top of that is the fact that when you live in a Nursing Home your world has already shrunk, so that makes it worse.
I think you need to remind them again that you need to be called first. It seems they could put a list next to the names of patient contacts with order to call in, to avoid this.
Hope the move goes ok and he is soon back in his room!

Lillian Robinson said...

That must be terribly hard on everyone. So sad. It's such a dreadful disease, but it sounds like your dad is in very good hands.

Donna B. said...

Hi Mari...Hopefully, I can talk with him tomorrow, and the nurse to see how he did. I may talk to the DON, because I KNOW my name is first on the contact sheet. The only thing I can think of is they don't want to incur the long distance phone charges...

Hi Lily...Yes, it is definitely a dreadful disease...and we could not ask for better care for him.

Jeanie said...

It is working for me now, but thanks for getting back to me with all the good information. I hope you hear good news on the move.

gayle said...

I so hope that the move is not to hard on your dad and you get to talk to someone soon!

Donna B. said...

Thanks Jeanie for letting me know...because I sure don't want to miss any of your comments! :}

Thank you Gayle...I talked with them (AGAIN) today (Thursday). Also was able to connect with Dad...for a little bit, before he fell asleep on me!