This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Monday, September 30, 2013

Mom Brought Donuts....

Mom went back to the nursing home today...she brought a huge box of donuts and personally took them around, visiting everyone who cared for Dad...

The superintendent of the facility was there and thanked Mom again for her written thank you note for the beautiful flowers they sent for Dad's funeral.  She gave him a picture of the flowers so he could post it.  She also shared pictures from Dad's funeral with everyone.

Everyone was so grateful for the pictures and commented how beautiful it was.  Mom visited with Doctor-Doctor, Pickles, the Skin Angel, the Head of Nursing, and all of them wanted to know how we are were doing.  Doctor-Doctor mentioned my brother E_____ had come in to extend his thanks for the excellent care Dad received there. She and the others were quite touched he made the effort to come in.

Mom asked the Superintendent for some business cards.  Several people in her Support Group had requested cards as well as Mom's physician.  He was very impressed we felt so positive and wished to pass along referrals to others.  We all agreed how happy we are with the care provided to Dad with such genuine compassion and love.

I know it was not easy for Mom to return to the nursing home, especially by herself, but I am so proud of her and I know how welcomed she must have felt by everyone.  We really feel they are all an extension of our family.  We have shared such an intimate experience together...

I still miss Dad.  I know I always will.  Some days I feel raw and very emotional and other days I can think positive, happy thoughts of Dad, eternally youthful, pain free and full of love and joy.  I like to think of him running along a beach with his favorite dog, Brutus, running along side of him...as fast as his stubby legs can carry him.

I know it made an easier transition for Mom, in that Dad had been at the nursing home these last four years instead of being at home with Mom.  The day I left her house to return to CA, after picking up Dad's remains...she got a phone call from a good friend.  The previous week Mom and her girlfriend and her husband shared lunch at a church function.  Her girlfriend called to tell Mom he had died.  I know Mom will be a comfort to her, but despite my Mother's strength and faith, it has to be very difficult going to so many funerals...

The day of Dad's funeral, as we were leaving, I got a call on my cell from my dear girlfriend I used to co-write poetry with, had suddenly died.  She and I had been on the phone long hours the week before as she did not have a computer and I was helping her by giving her phone numbers of places to check out in San Francisco as her daughter's husband had just gotten a job there.  We were laughing and sharing and I told her I wanted to come visit her before they all moved...

Unfortunately, I did not get the opportunity to visit.  Her daughter said they are having her cremated and will keep her remains with them during the moving process and after they are settled, plan on having a Memorial service in Lake Tahoe, which is where she lived so many years and raised her daughter.  My husband and I would love to drive up for it...

Our neighbor across the street from us, discovered he had a tumor in his brain and his lung three months ago.  He just died Friday, September 13, 2013.  We attended his funeral September 16th.

My daughter's Mother in Law has terminal cancer and has been very ill.  Another neighbor down our street just found out she has inoperable cancer on her rib cage and clavicle.  She is stage four and very sick...

I realize at our age, unfortunately, we hear about and experience more serious illness and death, especially living in a Senior Community.... It is never easy to accept, but it is a part of life's process coming to a full circle.  We are so thankful to learn our youngest daughter, who just got married July 20th of this year, is pregnant.  She is due in April.  My brother B____'s daughter in Ohio is also pregnant and due this December.  It is God's gift to our family... and we are grateful.

3 comments:

Mari said...

So much sad news in such a short time. I'm glad you got some good news too!

Linda O'Connell said...

When my parents died, there were eight deaths. The Domino effect finally stopped, and then we experienced births, too.

Hope you can find peace and comfort. Getting old isn't for sissies :)

betty said...

Hugs to you, Donna; I read your dad's memorial service entry; I'm sure it was beautiful when it actually took place; the military does such a great service to honor those that served our country, like your dad did.

I'm glad your mom went to the nursing home; I'm sure it helped with closure both for her and the people who lovingly took care of your dad.

It is sad to hear of the others that died of people you knew and loved or were in your neighborhood. But so thankful again for the new lifes that will be in your family in the months to come.

betty