This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Our Song....

I called to talk to my Dad today.  His male caregiver told me Dad had eaten 70-80% of his lunch and his weight has been staying between 120 and 121.  He told me he had not seen Dad's doctor...but that Dad seemed to be doing OK.  I asked if I could speak with my Dad...

I greeted Dad with my usual, "Hi Papa-Doots"....

Thankfully, Dad responded by greeting me by name, "Hi Donna...I was just sitting here with a pretty young lady who reminds me of you..."

"Aaaahhhh, you are always surrounded by the pretty ladies..."

"Yes, I like pretty girls..."

"I love you Dad."

"I love you too..."

His voice was tired and weak.  His words were slurred and mumbled...but I could understand him...

I had heard the song Bye, Bye, Blackbird on the radio the other day and thought of him... Bye, Bye, Blackbird is the song my Dad used to sing to me when I was a baby with colic or to settle me down to go to sleep.  It has always been our song.  We danced to it at my wedding with my second husband. ( I eloped with my first...)

" Dad, you know what I heard on the radio the other day?  Bye, Bye, Blackbird..."

Dad broke into song singing a few bars..."Bye, Bye, Blackbird..."

I continued with, ..."Pack up all your cares and woe, here we go, singing low, bye, bye, blackbird...where somebody waits for me, sugars sweet, so is he, bye, bye, blackbird....no one here can love or understand me, oh, what hard luck stories they all hand me, make my bed and light the light, I'll be home late tonight, bye, bye, blackbird..."

"Oh it is so good you remember that!"

"It's our song, I'll always remember it...we danced to it at my wedding...remember?"

"No, I don't remember, but that's nice..."

I told him my daughter Jodee got married this past weekend and they sent their love to him...

"Oh, I'm happy for her..."

"Jerry (my husband) sends his love to you too..."

"Good..."

"Did you have a nice lunch?"

"I did not eat yet..."

"Oh, I just talked to H____ (his male caregiver) and he said you just had lunch."

"I did?  I guess I did...I don't remember."


"I love you Dad..."

"I love you too dear... I'll see you at the party..."  (I have no idea what party he is referring to...most likely because we were talking about the wedding...)


"Are you going to take a little nap?"

"I'm going to try..."

"OK, sweet dreams...have some nice adventures...."

"YEAH!"

"You can ride some horses, go sailing or take a nice swim in the cool water...."

"That sounds good."

"I love you Dad...God Bless you."

"I love you too and may God Bless you too..."

2 comments:

Mari said...

Even tired and with a slurred voice, it's nice you had this good conversation!

Linda O'Connell said...

I know how you feel. I just had a conversation with a long time friend who has dementia, and for a few minutes, she was with it. Makes those calls all worthwhile.