This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Hot Dogs and Racing for Dad....

Mom didn't visit Dad last week because she had been under the weather with a cold.  July 3rd,  she felt well enough to visit Dad at the nursing home...

The nursing home was celebrating the 4th of July and as promised, they barbecued hot dogs.  Mom took Dad out on the patio and asked for his lunch to be brought out on a tray.  Dad loves to sit with the warm sun on his back (even if it was a bit over cast).  Mom went to get his sunglasses but could not find them.  Mom told Dad she could not find his sunglasses....

"I know where they are..." (Probably gave them away again...)

Mom asked where they are, but Dad was too focused on his lunch which had arrived when she was searching for the sunglasses...

Dad ate his lunch of Lasagna, salad, Mexican corn, ice cream, beans, pudding and ice cream; then asked Mom to make him a hot dog with extra mustard, onions, relish, & ketchup... (Mom noticed Dad guzzled a Sprite and a full glass of milk and didn't cough as he has been doing...)

" I feel GRRREAT! (Dad announced suddenly)  "I'm running and racing again.  I bet everyone!"

Mom nodded and secretly hoped he was not attempting to stand on his foot with the growth....

Doctor-Doctor stopped by to give Mom a hug and flirt with Dad...

Looking up at Doctor-Doctor from his wheel chair, "Wanna' race?"

Mom asked Dad if he enjoyed having their oldest son visit from Ohio two weeks ago; he had to return to go back to work...

"Yes, it's great, we going to run a race together later..."

Mom reminded him B_____ had returned to Ohio to work...

"I know, I know...but the race is still on."

When Dad slowed down in feeding himself, he began to glare at her.... "Aren't you going to give me my ice cream?"

So Mom picked up his ice cream and began feeding Dad...

Anticipating Dad would be ready for a nap, she leaned in to kiss him good bye and asked if he was ready for his nap...

"No, I would like another hot dog with extra mustard..."



3 comments:

Mari said...

Wow - makes me full just reading this. :)
Glad she had another good visit.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sounds like it was a really good day for your father. I'm sure your mother was happy to see him eat so well.

Sultan said...

I would like some extra mustard as well.