This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Friday, March 2, 2012

A Stormy Phone Call from Dad...

Dad called Mom today...

"Hello?"

"GET OVER HERE RIGHT NOW!!!  THIS IS URGENT!"

"Don, what's wrong?"

"YOU DID NOT LEAVE ME ANY MONEY!!!"

"I just saw you yesterday, I...."

"DID YOU HEAR ME? GET OVER HERE RIGHT NOW!!!"

"You do not need to worry about money, everything is paid for -----"

"GET OVER HERE I SAID OR I AM LEAVING!"


"Don...wait..."

"I SAID GET OVER HERE NOW OR I AM LEAVING!!!"

Click... Dad had hung up on her....

Mom was due to have a mole removed today and was on her way out the door when Dad called.  She quickly dialed the nursing home and spoke with the charge nurse, who told her she would go check on him...

Next, Mom called me.  She told me about Dad's call and discovered she had another message from Dad, only it was from the operator stating there was an urgent call trying to reach her and to call the following number...  Dad must have dialed the operator to call Mom.

Mom asked me to follow up because she had to leave or she would be late to her doctor appointment.

I was expecting my health insurance agent to find out about Medicare Advantage Plans... but I called the nursing home and spoke with the charge nurse.  She put me on hold and then came back.  She told me she had spoken with Dad, who seemed calmed down and promised he would not do it again...

I suggested they monitor him closely because Dad has these outbursts when he is off the depression medication.  Without it, he gets angry.  He was agitated yesterday when Mom visited him, yelling at people  who were running in the halls...

I think I am going to suggest they put him back on the medication and also remove the phone from his room.  The majority of the time when I can actually speak with Dad, they put him in an office to use the phone.  When he uses the phone in his room, he usually falls asleep on me.

Mom's blood pressure jumped sky high when her doctor tested her prior to removing her mole... Mom gets so upset when Dad calls her like this.  Mom told me unless she can identify the person calling her she is not going to answer the phone.

I will call again tomorrow and email his physician suggesting it.  I will also make sure there are new batteries in his wander guard anklet and bracelet...

4 comments:

Loui♥ said...

Donna~
how sad..we too experienced the same problems with my FIL..both he and Mom were in assisted living..
we did have the phone removed from his room after Mom passed away..otherwise, it was continued calls all nite long..we even recorded his calls..and still he was in denial..
prayers for you and your mother.. it is a long and winding road to follow..
warmest hugs..
Loui♥

Mari said...

I can see that this would be hard on your Mom. Sounds to me like he needs that medication!

Linda O'Connell said...

Donna, it is an ongoing battle at those facilities. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Speak up and deman what you want for your dad. It does sound like the meds, and now they have proof. So they should put him back on them. Insist.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Donna, I'm sorry! I have a friend who fights severe depression and while he doesn't want to be on the medication, it really makes a big difference.
I hope your mother was all right after the procedure.