This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Dad is Re-Enlisting in the Marines...

Dad called Mom tonight...  He wanted to know if his Marine Corps uniform was still in the plastic zipper bag in the hall closet.  He has decided to re-enlist.  He asked Mom if she knew where his hat was.  Mom told him the Corps would have to issue him a new one.

He told Mom he was planning on setting up a tent in the back yard...

Dad wanted to know if Mom realized their daughter Holly now works at the nursing home... Mom reminded Dad my sister works for a hardware company... Dad chuckled and agreed he was probably mixed up.

He asked if their grand sons still lived down the street... (they live in the next town).  Mom told him they were divided their time between their Dad's home and their Mom's home with her new husband.  Dad wanted to talk to my brother S_____  and Mom quipped, "wouldn't we all!"  Mom told Dad my brother was busy going to school, working on his Masters and working a job at night...

Dad thought Mom said Pastor's Degree....

Both my parents are life long Republicans.  Dad told Mom he liked President Obama and thought his job plan and taxing the rich were GREAT ideas.  Mom grumbled under her breath, as Dad asked her how she felt about it. Mom told him she would NOT be voting for him...

Mom was watching the Angel baseball game and asked Dad if he was watching too...He told her he was and thought they were doing so great shooting all those baskets...  Mom snickered and agreed with him...

Dad told her about a "beady eyed" woman he really liked and wanted her to be his counselor...

Talking non stop, Mom could not get many words in, but Dad said he felt fine but needed a toothbrush.  Mom suggested he talk to one of the nurses and they would give him one.  He told her that was a great idea...


He didn't ask how Mom was, only that his phone had not been working, so one of his lady friends help fix it so he could call her.

Mom is still not going many places as it hurts too much to walk.  She is also taking Fosomax.  I could not take it.  It made me sore all over and made my ankles and knees feel like I had been hit with a bat...  I wonder if that medication is adding to her problems...her doctor says she is "on the road to recovery", but from what my sister said, Mom still looks to be very much in pain...

We have been having a lot of work done on the house and the days have been flying by... we leave for Tucson, Arizona tomorrow to visit friends and then attend a family funeral on Sunday the 2nd.  I plan on calling both Mom and Dad while we are driving tomorrow...

When we get back, we have birthdays and our ten year anniversary, company from New York coming to stay a week, celebrating two years since we adopted Izzy, our dog and then I have a trip to California for my grand son's 7th birthday, trick or treat with them and then visit my Dad for his 91st birthday....

One of our anniversary gifts is to see the Eagles in concert in November.  We will make a night of it and all the friends and family members in attendance will be all staying over night at the MGM Grand Hotel.  Should be a fun night!

I hope to pop in once in awhile to blog and visit other blogs...but I also have a new exercise plan I have decided to get started on...so wish me luck on that!

Hope all of you are well...  I miss you all and look forward to talking with you soon!

6 comments:

Mari said...

Nice to hear from you again! I see your Dad hasn't changed. He's such a sweetheart.
I hope your Mom starts improving soon. Like you, I'm not a real fan of Fososmax.
Enjoy your getaway!

CiCi said...

I hope you don't mind that I enjoy hearing the stuff your dad says. He cracks me up and he doesn't know it. Or maybe it is the way you write it. I hope your mom gets better soon. You are going to be busy over the next month. What work are you having done on the house? DIY or hiring it out?
Wow, ten years is a special anniversary. Seeing the Eagles in concert is an awesome way to celebrate. I do wish you luck with your new exercise plan.

Linda O'Connell said...

Your dad's antics make me smile, God love him, and your mom too. Hope she feels better. I took Fosomax for five years, now they are taking women off of it because it has been found to be a contributing cause to leg fractures. Once I accidentally took a double dose and had the same reaction as you did.
Enjoy your busy life.

Jeanie said...

Wow, Donna, your upcoming schedule sounds very busy, but also very fun.
I'm glad you will get to spend Halloween with the kids and get to see your dad for his 91st birthday.
Happy adoption anniversary to Izzy...our 2nd anniversary with Dodger is coming up also. He got a gift from the neighbors yesterday.
I hope you are feeling really well for all that is coming up for you and I hope your mom continues to improve.

betty said...

Good for you for the exercise program, Donna!! You guys will like the Eagles, indeed; good choice for an anniversary gift. We saw them in Montana a few years back.

I can't believe it is getting clost to your dad's 91st birthday! I do remember the celebration last year for his 90th!

do take care of yourself!

betty

JeannetteLS said...

Hang in, Donna. I think of you often. Your schedule sounds exhausting! I am SO jealous that you are getting to see the Eagles. I am sure it will be fun... and happy anniversary in advance, my friend. Loving thoughts flying your way!