This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Friday, July 8, 2011

God is Always With Me...

As you may recall, Mom had a fall coming home from her Retreat last April.  She hurt her shoulder and consequently, her lower back.  I too have been down with a whopper of a backache...so she and I have been commiserating together over the phone lines... I am happy to report, I am doing much better.  Still tender, but better... Mom, on the other hand is having a rough time of it.  The pain is going down her legs now... so she is seeing her doctor next Tuesday...

I called Dad today.  Mom was not feeling up to her weekly visit with Dad, due to her back.  I am waiting to hear if the biopsy was done yesterday, as planned.  Probably won't know the results for another week.  I won't be surprised if it is skin cancer of some kind...Dad was always outdoors and for many years, without skin protection.

Dad sounded in great spirits and I could hear him smile with a chuckle when I greeted him with his pet name, Papa-doots...  He gushed sweet comments about the nurses around him, telling me how well they cared for him and how happy he is.  He told one of the nurses, he called Laura, how much he loved her... he often forgets their names and calls them by names of his choosing...

I asked how his lunch was...he told me it was delicious...I asked what he had... he laughed and said, "whatever it was, it was darn good! "   We laughed together...

I asked if he had his fruit plate and he obviously didn't hear me, because he told me, "I will be busy until tomorrow night, so be sure you call me first so I will know when to expect you...."

I told him Mom was still resting with her back but would hopefully come this weekend with my sister to visit... He was happy to hear about their visit and asked when he would see me...  He didn't remember about Mom's back or mine, and was concerned for us, reminding me to take care of myself...

I gave him love from my husband and he told me to send the love back to him...

Dad thanked me for calling, giving me the hint he was done talking... I told him to have a nice nap and he assured me he was looking forward to it...  I blessed him and told him I loved him and he thanked me and said he loved me too... "You know, God is always with me", he said...

I know Dad, I know... sweet dreams...I love you so much...

It is storming outside...thunder, lightning, roaring wind and pouring rain... a perfect day to be indoors....then again...maybe we may venture out and take in a movie....

6 comments:

Mari said...

Awww - another sweet talk with your Dad. :)

janis said...

Donna~ Have a Blessed weekend

betty said...

I like how he knows that God is always with him!! I do hope your mom's back (and yours) gets back to baseline soon! good for your mom going in to get it checked out since it has been a bit and it seems like the pain is spreading. Let us know what happens with it!

betty

Southhamsdarling said...

So sorry to hear that your poor mum is still suffering from the effects of her fall. Prayers are with her, and with you all. Lovely chat you had with your dad over the phone. Take care of you dear friend!

Linda O'Connell said...

Your dadis a sweetie and he is right, God is with him.

Katie Gates said...

"whatever it was, it was darn good" made me smile. A charming post. I hope your back continues to heal.