This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Thursday, June 9, 2011

If I Don't Clean My Plate, They'll Freeze The Food And I'll Have To Eat It Tomorrow...

Mom was on her way to visit Dad when she received an emergency prayer request.  Normally, she is the back up, but she could not reach anyone and ended up making five phone calls before she could deliver the message.

She found Dad wearing shorts, waiting for lunch in the temporary lunch room. Sitting with his eyes closed and tapping his toes to the soft music playing...  He was very happy to see her, telling her, "You are so very cute Lynnie".  His lunch tray was placed in front of him by a gal Dad calls, "Goldie".  Mom was kind of surprised to see a hot dog for Dad's lunch.  Goldie asked Dad if he wanted mustard or mayo and Dad said "Yes, please."  She asked Dad if he wanted mustard too... "Sure, why not, " he replied...

While he waited for her to dress the hot dog, Dad turned the name/menu card around and noticed it was not his name.  "This is not me," he informed her...  Embarrassed, she apologized to both Mom and Dad.  She scurried away and returned with Lasagna for Dad..."This is much better!" he announced...

Mom said she noticed one lady had a grilled cheese sandwich, another had mashed potatoes, mashed squash, a drink supplement and jello and another had the same plate as Dad...Lasagna, salad, Spanish rice, vanilla pudding with a large strawberry, coffee and milk.

I always thought all the residents had the same thing.  I guess I never noticed what the others were eating.  I was too focused on Dad...  Mom said Dad did not leave even a grain of rice on his plate...

Dad wanted to go on the patio, but it was cool and over cast outside.  Mom was concerned Dad would be too cold with his shorts on... so she asked if he would like to go talk in the nook, or back to his room.

Suddenly, Dad said his grand father's name aloud,  "He used to take frozen baths...is he still alive?"

Mom agreed, telling Dad his grand father used to take cold baths to get used to swimming in the North Sea in Ireland, as he was a champion swimmer...and no, he died before they had any of their children...

"Yes, that is right," Dad smiled, looking at Mom with adoration...

"I think I am ready for a nap..."

Mom wheeled Dad to his room and asked the charge nurse who would be helping Dad get into bed...shortly a young woman appeared and got Dad all settled in bed. She told Mom when she wakes Dad in the morning and asks him how he feels, he always smiles a big smile and tells her, "I'm feeling happy today!"   She said he always starts her day off with a smile and positive attitude...

How wonderful this caregiver can get such positive enforcement from an Alzheimer's patient...and how Blessed we are Dad is still sharing his positive attitude and energy with others...

Mom was sitting on Dad's left side, which is his bad ear. Her questions and comments were sailing past his ears as he spoke what he was thinking...

"I like to watch the basketball game until my eyes close."

"I had liver and onions last night and ate every bite!  If I don't clean my plate, they'll freeze the food and I'll have to eat it tomorrow..." 


"E____ (my youngest brother who visited him yesterday) hired some tall guy to help him with his business when I told him I would be available to spend a week with him..." (I am sure this is news to my brother.... :}  )

With that, Dad shut his eyes and let out a long, relaxed, "aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh", so Mom took the hint and gave him his hug and kiss good bye.  "Be careful driving dear..." he mumbled, still with his eyes closed...

Mom assured him she was very careful driver...

On her way out, she saw the Administrator.  He greeted Mom, giving her our customary family hug.  He told her Dad was one of the most pleasant people they have at the nursing home...

What a Blessing indeed!

5 comments:

betty said...

that was neat, Donna; that your dad knew that was not his name on the back of his card! That is interesting that it seems like the residents get to pick their meals; kind of like going to a restaurant!! I am sure your dad is a joy there with his cheerful attitude! It does seem like it is a good fit for him!

betty

Theres just life said...

I am so happy your dad has such a positive attitude. It is wonderful that he wakes everyday with a smile.

Pamela Jo

CiCi said...

Interesting to hear the daily experiences of your dad. How wonderful to read about his positive attitude and how he shares this with everyone who deals with him. Usually I only hear about the grumpy needy patients. I am enjoying reading about your dad.

Mari said...

It's so true! I was thinking while reading this that your Dad blesses me and I've never met him. I know he is a blessing to those who work there, because many residents are not so cheerful and positive.

gayle said...

I am sure your dad is a blessing to those who care for him and take care of him!