This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Monday, September 5, 2016

I've Missed You...Let's Catch Up!

Hello out there....

It's been awhile...I think I am ready to begin blogging again.

I don't know how many of you are still blogging or even if you still follow my blog..I will be popping in over time checking in to see who is still around, and hopefully meeting some new friends. For the few of you out there...(and you know you who are) thank you from the bottom of my soul for your support and friendship over the past eight years.

Since I last blogged....My grand daughter was only a couple months old...she is now two. Her big brother will turn six years old this month. In fact, they are going to have a new brother or sister this November.  Her parents are doing it the "old fashion way" and waiting until it arrives to announce the gender.  The new one will be my sixth grand child. Together, my husband and I will now have an even dozen!

My oldest grand son just started high school this year, the second oldest turns 12 in October and the "caboose" just turned 3 and started pre-school.  I'm certain there will be posts about my grand kids....their adventures and mischief always crack me up.

I'm still living in Nevada, traveling back and forth on the "road to love" visiting my family and friends in California.  Housing in Nevada is recovering very slowly...but I think I have come to the conclusion I will be a lot happier if I finally accept that this is where I will be living.  After almost eleven years, it is time to call it home...

I continue to journal and as Julia Cameron advises, "to do your morning pages..."   I dabble with my watercolors and am considering re-visiting acrylics....but writing is still my first love.

I am also working on a family project...getting all our Mother's interesting life down on paper.  Not an easy task when we live in two different states.  We have recently decided to invest in a recording device because she gets grouchy (and she is entitled at 89) when I keep asking her to repeat what she said to get it down in my notes....( And for those of you who remember Mom, she is doing GREAT.  Feisty as ever!!)

Last New Years I made two resolutions:  First, I wanted to find some way of helping others and to be of service. Second, I wanted to be more creative.  I started a new poetry/consciousness blog,   If you would like to check it out, here is the link: Creative Synchronicity.  I even had business cards made.  I also started classes in January to be a volunteer senior peer counselor.  Our mission is basically seniors helping other seniors with our life lessons and experiences.  We are not therapist, just active listeners who offer support and help to other seniors and hopefully, together, find solutions which help.

The program is through a community hospital and headed up by a clinical psychiatrist and retired social worker.  We attend meetings twice a month with our supervisors and see our clients on our own mutual schedules at a designated location.  So far, I've found it extremely rewarding and I've learned so much about myself in the process.  I am very grateful for the experience.

I am still involved with Alzheimer's.  I stay informed with emails from the Alzheimer's Association and follow Barbara Karnes blog.  I also attend the support group Mom attends regularly, when I'm visiting her. She made such wonderful friends and she feels she can be a beckon of hope to those who are still going through it.  I've attended a few support groups here in Nevada, but just haven't found one that fits yet...  If anyone needs any support or if I can answer any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

I'm doing a lot of reading, learning new things on u-tube videos and watching some interesting movies on Netflix.   I may even review and discuss a few from time to time.   I really have enjoyed some excellent books, so those of you who enjoy philosophy, consciousness, the creative process fighting resistance...we may share some excellent conversations.

I've filled a notebook with all the poetry I wrote on my former poetry blog.  I just felt like I wanted to go in a different direction with my new one...

I continue to be an obsessive quote collector.  I've filled several journals full of various quotes.  I find it uplifting when I am down or challenges, to read from my inspirational quotes....

So that's it for now...hope to hear from you!

3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Good to hear from you, Donna!
That's great you volunteer as a senior advisor. Who better to help other seniors?
Congratulations on all the grandkids and one coming soon.

Mari said...

Hi Donna! It's good to hear from you again. I can't believe how old your grands are. I have 2 granddaughters; 4 and 1. I love being a grandma!
I'm glad to hear your mom is doing so well!

Katherine Thayer said...

nice to have you back