This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Saturday, August 17, 2013

We Feel it coming...

Today the Hospice CNA called Mom and told her Dad had asked for her.  He told Mom he felt Dad was in pain and may need Morphine, and let her know he was also calling the Hospice nurse.  Dad had refused to eat and coughed when he would try.  He had been on mechanically soft diet, but yesterday, hospice ordered a pureed diet so Dad would not aspirate anything...

Dad still refused to eat and coughed while drinking water or liquids...

Mom called me and went down to see Dad.  When she arrived, the hospice CNA had just got Dad out of the shower and the wound nurse was dressing his cancerous foot.

Dad sat in his wheel chair, slumped over sleeping.  One of the nurses gently rubbed his shoulders and told him Mom was there....Dad lifted up his head, opened his one good eye, looked at Mom and closed his eye again and went back to sleep.  Either he was too tired or forgot whatever it was he wanted to say to her...

Mom stayed awhile to see if Dad would talk with her, but he never did, so she went home.  She told me Dad looked horrible...so much more gaunt and weak than the last time she saw him...

I called the nursing home but they were passing out lunch and asked me to call back.

I had been out all day with a friend.  We had been using my GPS on my phone to find a jewelry lady my friend was going to have fix some broken jewelry for her.  My phone was dead so I had to wait until I got back and could plug my phone into my car charger to call the nursing home.

I called and spoke with the nursing home supervisor and she told me Dad had been having such a difficult time eating and drinking.  Dad had refused dinner and only drank an Ensure.  She told me they called the Hospice nurse to come tomorrow to re-evaluate when I asked about Dad being in pain and did he need stronger pain medication.

I will talk with the hospice nurse in the morning...

No comments: