This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Waiting in Dread, Yet Hoping For the Best and Thank God for My Daughters....

Mom went to visit Dad last Saturday, July 7th.  She spoke with the male nurse who told me Dad had Scabies.  He told Mom Dad DID NOT have it...but gave her a throw away gown and disposable gloves to go into Dad's room.  I don't get it...don't understand the conflicting information...

The male nurse told her Dad was in his room resting after his shower.  He told Mom Dad had been in a good mood.

Mom found Dad sleeping in his bed with his mouth open.  He looked all cleaned up.  His eye looked scabby and dry without the goop.  His lip looked dry and scabby as well. She called his name a few times to wake him up. Dad half opened his eyes and told her he was tired and shut his eyes again.

She asked Dad again how he was doing and he again told her he was tired. Mom sat there a bit, then decided to let him rest.  She told him she would come back another time...

The front of the nursing home is pretty much done with bright new flowers, new plants and a new sign.  There were several residents in wheel chairs enjoying the new landscaping before the heat hit later in the week.  Mom spoke with the lady who is always with her Mother who is a resident there, and she said she noticed Dad was slowing down.  It seems obvious to everyone.

It is more difficult than ever reaching Dad...and when I talk to him he seems so out of it...or falls asleep.    I keep thinking about the hospice video... at the end, how the dying are so tired...

I tried to reach him twice this morning, once he was asleep, and the second time he was in the dining room enjoying some music and singing.  Dad weighs 148 and still has an appetite, eating 90-100% of his food, so that is such a good sign...

I am probably very frustrated.  I used to manage to talk with him once a week, but now it is so sporadic, often two or three weeks in between.  It seems so long since I felt good after a visit with him...

I am still haunted by Dad's doctor's decision whether he will do another Cryotherapy treatment or determine to remove Dad's toe...

I hate this feeling I have.  Like I am waiting for the other shoe to drop...

**************************

On a positive note... despite a late arrival, my daughters and I had a great time together...mainly we shopped for bargains at Ross, thrift stores, yard sales, went out to eat, talked, laughed and went to the movies.

My youngest daughter's son, Jacob, had a rash from the antibiotics he was on for a past ear infection.  We were shocked to discover an allergic reaction can appear after the full course of treatment was completed.  After the doctor assured her the rash would dry up and gave her some Benadryl for the itching, she felt relieved.  Apparently some foot, hand and mouth rash is going around in California and she was worried that is what he had.

Her husband insisted she go forward with their planned visit.  Jeff is a very capable Father and takes Jacob out on many Father, Son outings, so both my daughters left around 1pm and arrived at 6pm last Friday.  We made up for lost time and really crammed a lot of fun in those two and a half days.  They left yesterday at 5am.

I will see them again later this month when we all go to San Diego to see my husband's youngest son graduate from Marine boot camp.

2 comments:

Mari said...

Glad you had a good time with the girls and the grandkids!
I'm sorry for all your Dad has been dealing with and that it's so hard to talk with him. Just remember that he knows you love him and you've been there for him!

Wander to the Wayside said...

So sorry about you dad - I know how frustrating this waiting can be. At least it sounds like he's not in a great deal of pain as is sometimes the case. I'm sure the visit with your daughters was just what the doctor would have ordered for you! Glad you had a great time.