This blog was formerly dedicated in 2009 to my Dad who died of Alzheimer's in 2013. It's been three years now...and I find myself missing blogging...so I am re-inventing my blog... because, after all, life is about moving through, and going forward...

Monday, May 7, 2012

Sleepy and Groggy in the Land of Gibberish...

Mom and my sister Holly went to visit Dad on Saturday, May 5th.  They found him snoozing in his wheel chair in the recreation room, while the pastor was reading from the Bible.  The nurse noticed Mom and Holly and bent down to let Dad know they had come to visit.  Dad lifted his head, focused on them and smiled.

They wheeled Dad outside on the patio where it was nice, warm and a wee bit breezy...it was a gorgeous day.  My sister thought Dad seemed very groggy and sleepy. She too thought it was due to his medication changes.

Mom and Holly shared the latest family news with Dad...when they would pause and stop talking, Dad would lower his head and doze off...

My sister asked him how he felt and Dad perked up and said, "I feel really HAPPY!"

Dad May 5, 2012

Holly also noticed Dad's eye looks more dried and scabby on the bottom lid...

Holly tried to call me on her cell, but I was working an Estate Sale on Saturday and Sunday.  I heard my phone ring, but I was so knee deep in people wanting to pay for items, I could not answer the phone...

Dad loved the warm sun on his back and told them how good it felt...then lowered his head and dozed off again...

Mom tried to engage him in some conversation and Dad began talking gibberish and then something about Jehovah....didn't make much sense...

Holly tried to play checkers with Dad on her iPad...but Dad was having difficulty seeing the screen in the sunlight..  She decided she would bring a checker board game next visit...

Dad told them he was starving, so they wheeled him back inside since it was nearly lunch time.  They set Dad at a table with the gentleman who always wears the "Engineer Bill" cap.  He saluted Dad as he came to the table and Dad saluted him in return.

Mom and Holly gave him hugs and kisses as they left him to eat with his buddy...Holly stopped at the door way to throw Dad their traditional kiss....he caught it and blew her one back....

3 comments:

Southhamsdarling said...

Isn't it funny how sometimes dad's mind is not what it was, and yet he can appreciate the sun on his back and caught the kiss and blew it back to Holly. I suppose you have to be grateful for small mercies. This really is a lovely record you are keeping of your dear dad.

Mari said...

Glad he is still happy and I hope he is accustomed to the med changes soon.

Linda O'Connell said...

Donna, as long as he is enjoying himself, and eating and aware of his visitors, that's a blessing.